11. Playing games

Grace swung her legs over the side of her bed, her white painted toes kissing the cold hardwood floor bringing down her elevated body temperature. Scrounging up any white bed sheet she could grab, she used it to cover her nude body holding the soft 1,200 thread count sheet up against her bare chest as she grabbed the glass of water she always kept on her nightstand and downed it like it was the last glass on earth. " Let's watch a movie," Malik said rolling over and wrapping his long arm around her waist, leaving kisses on her lower back.

" I can't, I have somewhere to go," Grace said, looking over her shoulder at him as she brushed a piece of hair out of her face. Malik kissed his teeth unwrapping his arm from around her waist and sitting up. " I just got here and you tryna run out on me already. Damn, I feel like you just used me for some dick,"

Grace rolled her eyes before twisting around to face him. " What are you talking about Malik?" She asked with a forced giggle.

" I feel like I haven't gotten to spend no time with you in a month, you always got some excuse now. We used to be together all the time, I'm starting to feel like your side piece or somethin," He chuckled hastily.

Grace wasn't intentionally pulling away from Malik on purpose but since Joseph had been home she was growing more and more uninterested with him. It took Grace a little while before she tried to move on from Joseph. When she first started seeing Malik they had a great relationship, she thought he was helping her to get over Joseph but with Joseph being home she was realizing that she was never over him at all. Malik was drastically different from Joseph— he was a good guy, Joseph wasn't and that's part of what she loved about him. Grace secretly loved the thrill of the dangerous life Joseph lived, it was attractive to her. She loved the safety and comfort he provided her and the power and control he held. She felt invincible with Joseph. But now Grace felt stuck between the two— Joseph her one true love, the one her soul is tied to but on the other hand she'd created this connection with Malik and felt bad to hurt him because she really does care for him.

" You are not my side piece," Grace laughed rolling her eyes. " Why don't you just come with me, Prie is being honored tonight at some hairstylist award ceremony. Be my plus one,"

" Ight," He grinned, leaning in and planting a kiss on her full lips. After showering and getting ready, Grace dressed herself in a fitted baby pink off the shoulder long sleeve dress, pairing it with her favorite pair of crystal Gucci heels.

 After showering and getting ready, Grace dressed herself in a fitted baby pink off the shoulder long sleeve dress, pairing it with her favorite pair of crystal Gucci heels

Grace and Malik rode together in the blacked out 2022 Hellcat charger Malik purchased with his police department salary, arriving at a venue downtown. Valeting the car, they walked hand in hand in the crowded venue. Prie had come a long way from her small shop on the block that she'd started in. Dre kept his promise purchasing Prie her own salon downtown in exchange for using her old shop to store their supply back in the day which changed her clientele drastically. She eventually landed her first celebrity client and after being recognized by her she began working with more. The New York hair and beauty awards was a prestigious award ceremony where the top hairstylist and cosmetologists are recognized and awarded in multiple categories.