XIV: Dvalin Protection Squad Arrives!

Start from the beginning

Paimon raises her eyebrow as Diluc continues, "I'm not boasting. I'm simply saying there is more to the Abyss Order than a few mages."

The bard nods, "Correct. That's why I tagged along, after all. Well, that—and also for your safety."

The current ends at another platform. Jean lands first, then Aether. You step down with Jean's help as Venti sighs dramatically, "Why am I so diligent? Too diligent for a poet, in fact!"

He steps off after you, with Diluc trailing behind. You desummon your glider as Paimon scoffs at the archon, "So says the person that made zero effort to search for the dragon tears and drank in the tavern all day! Paimon doesn't get it, what part of you is remotely diligent?"

Another wind current is activated on the other side of the platform. Your group rushes to it before it disappears. This one seems to lead directly to the roof, "Look, a wind current!"

Paimon points to the sky, "It might lead us to the top of the tower."

-

Your group lands directly to the top of the tower. You see blue markings on the floor you're on, as well as three others when you peer down from the glass floor. There is also a mechanism with triangular shapes, with one slot unfilled.

"Oh, we can't advance any further. The ruins seem to be guarded by ancient seals."

You turn to the bard, "Is this the work of Dvalin?"

"No. These ruins were once part of an ancient city. Dvalin just happens to be nesting in these ruins for now. These ruins even predate the existence of the Four Winds." He looks around the tower with a faraway look in his eyes, "Mondstadt is a city without a ruler. However, before it was. It was ruled by a tyrant."

A flash of resentment flashes his face, but suddenly regains composure after noticing your stares, "Anyway, I'll sing you that story when we have a chance in the future."

Diluc observes the markings around the center of the tower, "The markings on this seal... If my archaeological knowledge is not mistaken, this appears to be a light actuator. If we retrieve and reintegrate all the parts, we should be able to get it working."

"We should be close to completing the ceremony for this actuator. Let's put the last part back and see."

Aether turns to you, "I recall seeing one at the roof. I'll be back."

-

After Aether retrieves the last piece of the actuator, the seal from the floor you're all currently at disperses.

"Looks like we're right. There are three more halos circling the tower."

Jean looks at the archon, "Which means there are three more corresponding light actuators to activate."

She walks to the edge of the platform and scouts around. You hear her mutter and turn to look at the group, "I can see one from here. The rest must be scattered within the ruins around here. Let's go find them."

"Why did Dvalin pick a place filled with puzzles and seals as his lair? Doesn't he get annoyed coming back home?"

Venti reminds Paimon, "He doesn't walk in. He flies in."

She sighs, "You do have a point."

-

You see the tower shoot a beacon of blue light to the sky. Your group gathers back to the tower after you patch some of your cuts from fending off hilichurl camps from the pieces of the light actuators.

"I'm thinking about turning these adventures into songs after we're done."

Aether yawns in exhaustion beside you, "Well, we certainly have gone through quite a lot recently."

The bard nods, "Hopefully, this song will be sung for years to come by the people of Mondstadt, just like The Legend of Vennessa."

Jean smiles at that, "I have loved that song since I was small. How are you two feeling? I am completely prepared and fully confident that we can do this."

Indicating at you and Aether, you shrug. Your blond friend replies, "Rest assured, we're also completely prepared!"

Paimon points, "Even Master Diluc accompanied us to the very end. Despite only being an accidentally involved... bystander."

"You shared your secret with me, and I only returned your trust to the same extent."

You murmur, "So 'trust' is what drove Master Diluc here, and 'responsibility' for Master Jean."

The fae looks towards Venti, "What about the Tone-Deaf Bard?"

The latter pauses, "It's 'freedom'."

"Freedom?"

"When you first arrived at Mondstadt, did no one tell you that Mondstadt is the City of Freedom?"

"Amber." You, Aether, and Paimon collectively reply.

The bard chuckles, "She really is a child of freedom! Mondstadt is a romantic city, without the reign of a king, and its citizens enjoy the most freedom amongst the seven nations. I hope the dragon that once protected Mondstadt will soon be free, too. No one should have deceived him by telling him that Mondstadt betrayed him, and no one should have told him it was his eternal duty to protect the city. He has the right and freedom to choose his own way of life."

You look at the solemn archon, "Venti..."

He flashes a smile your way, and you notice that his smile doesn't reach his eyes, "Well then, Aether, may the thousands of years of wind that have blown through Mondstadt go with you. Just like last time, I shall channel Anemo energy for you."

Aether lights up, "I knew it! It was your voice I heard."

Paimon gasps, "Oh! No wonder Aether said his voice sounds familiar!"