IX: "Holy Lyre"? More Like "Holy Shit"!

Nothing could have prepared you for what you had to do for this.

Venti informed you three about the Holy Lyre. It's one of Mondstadt's most treasured possessions, a lyre that the Anemo God, Barbatos, had once played.

The bard thought that the Lyre could perhaps bring back Dvalin's gentle nature, which is how you ended up negotiating with a furious nun.

Venti had convinced you three to talk to the nun that was doing her sisterly duties. Between you and Aether, you decide who should talk to her first—not without three matches of rock, paper, scissors. After losing twice consecutively, you talked to the kind nun.

You were unsure where things went downhill, but you ended up infuriating the once-kind sister. After threatening to kick you out of the Cathedral, you hurriedly left the church, and ran to Venti and Aether with confusion written on their faces.

"What happened there?" And after looking around, Venti sees that you failed to claim the Lyre, "Ah, worry not. They're a tough case. Let me handle this."

-

"You too, huh?"

Venti pouts and looks towards Aether, "Your turn."

After Aether leaves, you hear Venti murmur something under his breath, "It's not going to work... What if we..."

You turn to Paimon, "You want to get something to eat after this?"

You can see her eyes sparkle, "Ooh, what should we eat? Paimon recalls seeing an eatery near the entrance of the main gates."

As Paimon drools over her food choices, you turn around to admire the cityscape. Your parents loved travelling and always told you stories when they used to visit culturally unique locations. Seeing a place where your parents would absolutely adore every inch of reminds you of them.

Venti notices the faraway look on your face and pulls out his lyre. He begins to strum the instrument with a familiar melody, and your attention snaps back to reality, eyes wide while Venti continues to pluck his lyre.

The melody is similar to a song your mom once sang to you when you awoke from your nightmares. Bittersweetness is all you can feel about the song, and you feel a wave of emotion overflow in you. Despite the emotion, you can't help but wonder how Venti knows of this song. Is that song popular here?

Venti finishes with his signature three-point pluck and puts his lyre away, "You alright, Y/N?"

You nod, a sour taste forming in your mouth, "Just reminded me of my mother..."

He nods, empathetically. Hinting that you wish to cut the conversation short, he looks away, awaiting the blond's return.

-

"I see, so not even you were able to influence them."

Paimon puts her tiny hands on her hips, "So what are you trying to say? That we're not good enough?"

Venti denies, "No, that's not it. More of a commentary regarding Mondstadt's inability to see the warriors standing before its very eyes."

He clasps his hands together, "Very well. Looks like borrowing it is not going to be possible. We're simply going to have to steal it."

Your mouth hangs open.

"Today we stand for free will! Any suggestions on just how we steal it?"

You three look at the caped boy with bewilderment. Venti ignores your stares when he doesn't hear any suggestions, "Haha, look at you, sidetracked from the start! But seriously, you're more suitable for the job than I. Aside from singing, I don't really have any other talents."

You close your mouth as he continues, "Besides, if I was caught, I'd have no one to right the grave injustice of my arrest."

Paimon irks at the bard, "How can it be 'grave injustice' if you got caught stealing red-handed?"

"But things are different for Aether and Y/N. You two are the superstars of the Knights of Favonius. You have made contributions to Mondstadt. Should you get caught, you would easily be able to talk your way out of it." He explains.

"Alright. Here's the plan..."