Fourteen

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

"Oh great, we have tests to get through. I revoke my previous comment. I give up." I complained as we entered the cavern, being careful to avoid the spiked rocks. Lloyd lightly tapped my shoulder with his arm.

"Lighten up, sweetheart. You've got me here. I'm an expert at these 87% of the time." Lloyd assured me. I frowned at him as he smiled at me.

"87% percent of the time, what- wait wait wait-" I cut myself off, not elaborating as my voice died in my throat at the new nickname. 

"What's wrong, Princess?" Lloyd questioned, though his smug smile told me all I needed to know.

"I, uh- ha." My voice cracked as I rubbed the back of my neck, finally casting my eyes down. My face burnt as I quickly tried to recollect myself. As if giving me the privacy to do so, Lloyd turned around, looking behind us.

"You okay, Harumi? You're trailing back." I glanced back at his comment, noticing what he said was true. Harumi gave a small smile, waving her hand.

"I'm just tired is all. Sorry." But her smile didn't reach her eyes, making me uneasy. Again, I was thinking about when we were kids, the memory that I had been unable to bring to the surface ever since we had been discussing the Quiet One on the boat. I only faced back to the cave (and my likely impending doom) when I heard Lloyd jump, then land. He was now on one of the pillars. It seemed they were the only way to get across, but that didn't mean I liked the looks of that.

"You think I can jump that far?" I asked as I trailed my eyes over the rest of the cavern. I shifted on my feet as I studied our surroundings further. The walls were dusted a light, glowing purple. I found it to be pretty, maybe even relaxing, which I couldn't say the same for the rest of the situation. Lloyd huffed, waving me along.

"You got other ideas?" He asked me and I nodded.

"Yeah. They all involve me not dying." I retorted, which only got me a glare from Lloyd.

"(y/n)." His tone held warning, one where he'd likely just jump back to where I was and drag me out there himself. I sighed, then stepped back.

"Fine. Fine. I get it, your Highness." I ran forward, jumping onto one of the stone pillars by Lloyd. I landed clumsily, then tilted forward with a squeal. A hand shot out, catching me and pushing me back up.

"Careful." Lloyd hissed out as his eyes flickered behind me. Harumi jumped, yelping as she landed on the pillar beside mine.

"You okay, Rumi?" I questioned, and she gave a quick nod as she stared at the dark abyss surrounding us.

"Yeah. Think so." I nodded at her reply, then watched as Lloyd quickly jumped from pillar to pillar. 

"If the last mask is here, it won't come easily. Trust me, I've had my fair share of deadly tombs. Follow my every step." Lloyd said once he made it halfway through the cavern. He glanced back to us, only for a moment, before returning his eyes down.

"Alright. I'm trusting you." I murmured, then jumped to the next pillar trying to follow and keep up with Lloyd. I heard Harumi jump behind me, landing where I had been moments ago. Ahead of us, Lloyd jumped. He stood on the pillar for a moment, then it began to crumble from underneath him. Around us, the cavern began shaking, some rocks falling. "Lloyd." I cried out in panic as he quickly jumped to a neighboring pillar. He barely caught himself on the edge before clambering up to stand again. 

"Okay. Don't touch anything with that symbol on it." Lloyd told us once the cavern stilled and we were surrounded in the quiet again. Lloyd pointed to another pillar with a symbol carved into the top. I quickly nodded, not wanting to experience the same fate he just did. I didn't think I'd even make it if I tried to.