Chapter

"No one will ever love you, Yama." A young woman was laughing at him. She scoffed lightly. "I can't believe you actually thought I cared about you. I only hung out with you because my friends dared me to."

She strutted off, and Yama ran away, ran anywhere but there.

She had been his first friend, his only friend, and for that he had loved her. Loved her because she had been kind to him.

He thought she hadn't minded that he was clumsy, didn't mind that people stared at him, that people jeered. He thought she cared about him just the same, but she didn't. Or maybe she never did and Yama had just needed someone so badly to care about him that he didn't care that it was fake.

She wasn't the first. Yama's parents kicked him out when he was a child, claiming someone this unattractive would never ever be successful.

People shied away from him on the streets, and children laughed at him.

Why does no one ever love me? He wondered. I just want to be loved by someone. I want someone to smile at me.

I want someone to look at me, and I want their heart to warm.

When given the opportunity to turn into a demon, he took it. Yama thought that if he became a demon, he could tear apart those that had once hurt him. But that wasn't really what he wanted.

That was never what he wanted.

a/n: Only a couple more chapters to go!