Chapter 7

A/N: I hope you guys like this chapter! Thank you for leaving comments they make me happy!!!

As you are doing the laundry one day, you hear a familiar loud voice near the gates. Rengokus back!

You drop the laundry you're doing to go find him, needing to see him, make sure hes okay, make sure he didn't die, didn't leave you.

You couldn't afford to lose anyone else.

He is standing at the entrance, talking to Tanjiro, who looks glad to see him too. Rengoku notices you watching and gives you a wave.

You start running towards him, not stopping until you are able to wrap your arms around his torso. He is so solid and grounding and you never want to let go.

"I'm so glad you're back!" You mumble, and Rengokus arms, which were hovering hesitantly above your shoulders, come to gently rest around you too.

"See?" Zenitsu says, passing by and nodding his welcome to Rengoku. "Absolutely in love with Rengoku."

"Shut up!" You yell, glaring at him without letting go of Rengoku. Rengoku lets out a laugh that shakes his body.

"You didn't deny it, did you?" Zenitsu shouts over his shoulder, and you sigh, finally letting go of Rengoku. Tanjiro has disappeared by now, probably going to chastise Zenitsu.

"I missed you, Rengoku." You say, now feeling a little embarrassed at your incredibly affectionate display.

"Please, call me Kyojuro." He says, and something shifts in the air around you. You're not sure what it is, but the energy changes, as if something unspoken has been admitted. You smile a little, something light fluttering inside you at this exchange.

"I missed you too." He then exclaims, his voice booming again. You laugh and give him another hug, this one a lot shorter. He smells nice.

"Let's go have some dinner?" You question tentatively, testing the casualness on your tongue. He nods, the air seeming to spark a little around the two of you.

Your time with Kyojuro doesn't last, however, as your crow gives you a very important message.

"Upper moon Seven has been spotted in the Kyushu prefecture. Head there tomorrow morning."

The demon that murdered your family. You wondered why they chose to ask you to battle this demon, but it didn't really matter. You were simply glad to be given this chance to battle and avenge your family.

You sit on the porch, watching the burning sun disappear over the hills in a painting of deep purple, rich red, and flaming orange.

"Are you ready to fight this demon?" Kyojuro asks. You pat the area next to you, motioning for him to sit down. He does, stretching out casually.

"I think so," You say carefully. Honestly, all you felt right now was this odd calm, and beneath that, a quiet rage that consumed you to your very bone. It gave you strength, a power that you knew you would be bringing with you into battle.

"You can do it," He says, turning to look at you. " I know you can. I have watched you train and get stronger and stronger."

"But, that being said, do not expect things to be easy. Demons, especially upper moons, have the advantage on Demon slayers. They do not need to stop to catch their breath, and their vitals can be healed in less than a minute."

Rengoku smiles a little bit, sensing your disappointment at what had started as a pep-talk, but turned slightly depressing. "But, you know why they still run from us slayers? Because no matter how much it hurts us, no matter how many times a demon breaks our bones, or stabs our organs, we always get back up. Always. Our humanity is what gives us strength to fight against the inhuman."

You nod. "But what if I die trying?"

"That is an actual possibility. When you are fighting this demon, you will walk the line between life and death, and the scales will be balanced towards death. There may come a time during your fight when your life may be lost without the death of Moon 7. I will not tell you whether it is braver to perish or survive. You will know what is the right thing to do when it comes down to it."

He takes your hand in his, lacing his fingers through yours. Its warm and comforting, and you squeeze it so tight it must hurt. Neither of you mention this.

"Do try and come back, won't you?" Rengoku asks. The sun is almost gone from the sky now.

You take a deep breath in, thinking about everything he just said. It steels your nerves.

"I will do my best."

You and Rengoku sit there in silence long after the stars have come out, just grasping each others hands and enjoying each others company.

Both of you are wondering if it is the last time you will see each other.