Chapter 6

a/n: sorry for late update life got busy! hope u like the chapter (sorry this one isn't great) and have a lovely day!

Rengoku had another mission to go on so you and the others started to train on your own. You worried about him a lot. Tanjiro was often patting you on your shoulder, and even Zenitsu had decided it was too sad to try and make fun of you right now.

Sometimes you wondered if it was normal how much you cared about Rengoku. He was only your mentor, after all. But he had taken you when you were at your lowest and helped bring you back.

Whatever the nature of your relationship was, it could not be defined simply by mentor and student. Yet, whenever you tried to apply some other words to it, you couldn't find them.

Zenitsu came over to where you were sitting in the shade of one of the trees, thinking, and handed you some cake. He plopped himself down next to you.

"Thanks" You say cautiously. "Why are you being so nice to me?"

"I-" Zenitsu hesitates, thinking carefully about his next words. "I am really sorry for the statements I made a couple weeks back. I didn't know how grounded in truth they were."

"Its okay," You say, giving him some of the cake, which makes him smile. " I forgive you."

Zenitsu pauses, analyzing what you said. "So you admit that there was truth to my statement."

"I- Wait a minute." You glance over at him, and there is a glimmer of humor in his eyes.

"You tricked me!" You hit him lightly on the shoulder, laughing.

The two of you tease each other for a while, falling into a gentle rhythm. You wonder, a little pang going through your heart, if this is what it would've been like to argue with your little brother about silly things.

But Zentisu is still talking, so you are unable to fall too deeply in your sadness.

"Hey," Zenitsu says gently, his tone losing its joking manner. "Are you okay? I felt you get sad."

"I'm working on it," You say quietly. "Thanks for asking. You know, you actually have a really good heart, Zentisu."

He looks at you in surprise, trying to figure out if you're joking.

"I believe in you." You smile at him.

"Now come on," You say, pulling him up. " I'll help you with your sword stance. I've been observing you and I have some tips."

You walk away to get some training swords to work with, not noticing the way Zenitsu just stands under the tree for a minute, a small smile working its way to his face.

*

That's all I ever wanted to hear.

Zenitsu works with a new found enthusiasm.

It's funny how much believing in someone can affect their confidence.