Chapter 1 - Bonding with John

(Three days later)

It had taken Beth two days to even consider talking to her mom again and three days to be convinced to go out for the afternoon with her brother and John. It was really all thanks to her twin that she was currently following John as he led them through a very busy car park to a diner in the centre of town.

"Why are we doing this again?" Beth grumbled, trekking after John and her brother.

"Because mom asked us to," Adam replied. "And because he said he wasn't going anywhere until we do."

"Hurry up, you two." John looked back over his shoulder at them.

"We're coming," she huffed and stuck her tongue out when he turned away.

"You are determined to make this difficult, aren't you?" Adam grinned.

"Of course. Did you expect anything else?" she questioned mockingly.

Adam tapped his chin, pretending to be deep in thought as he messed her hair up with his free hand. "Hmm, no, I don't think I did."

"Dick," Beth insulted with a smirk and tossed her arm around his shoulders.

"Brat." She dodged as Adam attempted to punch her arm.

"Come on!" John called to them, holding the door open.

"I don't like this," Beth whispered before hurrying forward and ducking under John's arm.

"Neither do I," Adam agreed under his breath. He quickened his pace and followed Beth towards their usual booth at the back of the diner.

"So, I take it you come here often?" John asked as the young waitress Jenny smiled at Adam and Beth and ruffled their hair.

"We're regulars," Beth answered flatly.

"We've been coming here since we were three," Adam said in a more polite tone. He glanced down at his menu before deciding on his usual order of a glass of Dr Pepper and a cheese burger. "You should try the cheese burger, it's amazing."

"It really is," Beth nodded. She turned to grin up at Jenny as the blonde stopped beside them with a notepad in her hands. "Hey Jenny."

"Hey sweetie," Jenny beamed. "How's your mom doing?"

"She's fine, she's gonna be working late tonight," Adam input, handing his menu to her.

"Yeah, so she chose him to babysit us." Beth jerked her thumb at John.

"Oh, and who are you?" Jenny raised an eyebrow at the dark haired man. She knew that if Beth held bitter feelings towards someone, it was for a good reason.

"I'm John. Their dad," he replied reluctantly.

"Unfortunately," Beth mumbled and received a slap around the head from Adam.

"Well... it's nice to meet you, John," Jenny said hesitantly as she sent a pitying look at the twins. "Are you ready to order?"

"We'll have our usual," Adam answered for both himself and Beth as he shrugged his jacket off and folded it, setting it on the seat beside him.

"And I'll have a cup of coffee, black, and a cheese burger," John requested.

"I'll be back in a minute with your drinks." Jenny turned on her heel and headed for the kitchen.

"I'm going to the bathroom." Beth excused herself from the booth and disappeared through a door a few feet away.

John sighed, knowing it was going to be difficult getting Beth to open up to him or even talk to him civilly without being sarcastic or just plain rude.