Part 1 - The Past

-EDITED-

As I was standing by the gate alongside my father waiting for my sister's return, I noticed Reiner's family not too far in front of me along with Marcel Galliard's brother and father. Families were cheering for the 4 soldiers who were serving their country. 

I was on the tips of my toes trying to find or notice my sister from the distance, waving my head left and right while my eyes were trying to locate a familiar blonde. My certain technique had worked though I had spotted Reiner walking with Captain Zeke, the holder of the Beast Titan. "Reiner!" I waved to him. His gaze landed on me as he softly smiled and waved back. I watched him approach his family and be engulfed in a warm hug by his mother and the rest of his family.

He then walked up to me and my father after catching up with his family, he then brought me to a very tight hug. "R-Reiner I c-can't breathe-" Reiner soon let go and I immediately gasped for air.

"Sorry Y/n, it's just that I haven't seen my best friend for years." He smiled. "Hey Mr Leonhart, long time no see." He waved to my dad. "Hey there Reiner, it's good to see you healthy and in shape." Reiner chuckled but his eyes held the loss of his comrades. I had noticed the sadness that had glistened in his eyes and asked, "Reiner are you alright?" He looked at me and tears dropped from his eyes out of nowhere. I immediately hugged him and tried my best to comfort him.

"Y/n I'm so sorry," he whispered.

"Reiner, what's wrong?" I asked now feeling concerned. I wasn't the best at comforting someone. So in this case scenario, I tried my best. 

"I couldn't save her"

Those 4 words rang in my head.

I couldn't save her.

I couldn't save her.

I couldn't save her.

I couldn't save her.

I couldn't save her.

Who was he talking about? It couldn't be Annie? No. She promised. He's talking about someone else. Right?

Right?

I hadn't noticed that I had frozen in place. My father next to me had wide eyes, his mouth was slightly open. No. No. She's here. She's alive. She'll be here any minute now. Right? 

"Those damned devils captured her, they captured Annie. And killed Bertholdt. And one ate Marcel. I was the only damn survivor." Reiner spat with disgust while wiping the tears from his cheeks.

"What?"I questioned myself. I was lost.

"Annie is alive. She'll be here. She promised. A-and Marcel and Bertholdt will be here any time now." I said trying to believe my own lies. But it backfired as I turned my head left to right and soon realised that indeed Annie, Marcel and Bertholdt were nowhere to be seen.

"No," I whispered. I felt my knees weaken and found myself falling. Reiner was the first to help me not to fall but instead fell with me. "You're lying! You're lying, she's alive!" Tears were running down my face as Reiner held me close and wept. "Why? Why did she lie to me?" I whispered and grabbed onto Reiner's coat.

"She fought to her breaking point. She was an amazing warrior, so was Bertholdt." Captain Zeke stated, from above us. "Trust me Y/n, we will save your sister and avenge Bertholdt and Marcel." He continued while pushing his glasses up his nose.

I felt my father reach out and grip my hand, he helped me up from the ground, "Come on Y/n," Dad pulled me and led me in the direction of our home. With tear stains on my face, I sadly waved goodbye to Reiner and Captain Zeke. While we were returning all I could think about is the night before Annie had left where she had promised her safe return back home.