So that night he fell asleep feeling safe and satisfied.

➡️ ➡️ ➡️

It was a very chilly Sunday morning after ten o'clock. Harry was wiping down the kitchen counters when his son walked in.

"Daddy."

"Hm?"

"Why you clean so much?"

"Because we have a special visitor coming today. One you'll really like."

He gasped.

"Is it Santa?"

"No. He only comes on Christmas Eve. We still have quite a few days for that."

"Is it Mr. Payne?"

Harry stopped to look at him.

"No. Why? Do you want it to be Mr. Payne?"

He shrugged. "You make funny noises with him. Like last time."

Now his eyes bucked. Liam was a master for keeping quiet so Benjamin would never hear. Usually Harry was too. But their last time was right after his argument with Zayn. He guessed that everything he was feeling must have come out a little louder on his part.

"I'm sorry. It was... exercise. Sometimes daddy has to exercise to stay motivated to write his book about you."

"Oh. Do you need help?"

"No!"

He caught himself.

"Uh... Only adults can excercise the way we do. Children exercise by playing and that's something you should be doing right now. So go on. Go play."

When he left the kitchen, Harry faceplamed. Well he definitely was going to be more careful now. As long as Benjamin was home, he wasn't going to be having sex right after arguments anymore.

Just when Harry was finishing up, the doorbell rang. Harry jumped and a feeling of both fear and anticipation filled him right away. He wasn't sure why he was so excited. This was for Benjamin and only for Benjamin and he knew that. Perhaps he was just happy for his son.

When Harry went to answer the door, Benjamin was right beside him, waiting to find out who was on the other side. As soon as the door opened and he saw the familiar face, he jumped up and down.

"You got me Papa?!"

Benjamin went over to hug Zayn the same way he did the first time he saw him.

"I like this more than Santa."

Zayn raised his brow at Harry.

"Huh?"

"Don't worry about it." Harry said.

"Come in. Make yourself comfortable."

"Thanks."

Obviously things were still slightly awkward between Zayn and Harry given their past and the last time Zayn showed up here. But the very fact that they talked about nothing other than Benjamin at dinner on Friday made it less awkward. Because that made it easier to remember their focus wasn't each other but rather the son they had together. And that was all they should be worrying about.

"You came, Papa. I didn't know you was."

"Your daddy didn't tell you?"

He shook his head.

"Nuh uh. He said it was a surprise."

"Ah. I see. Well, I'm glad you like the surprise. I'm really happy to see you again."