Chapter Nineteen: Hurt: Jonathan

      Jonathan was walking toward the servant chamber when he saw an old, raven-haired woman with servant clothes on walking around the castle.

"Excuse me but who are you?' Jonathan said feeling the need to talk to her

"Lillian," she said looking at him with wide eyes then said

"I was hoping I could tell you before I die"

"Tell me what?" Jonathan said

  Lillian looked around then said "Not here" then she motioned him to a dark corridor where her room was. It was small with only one bed and a nightstand but cozy at the same time. She turned on a lamp and sat by the bed and motioned him to sit in a chair that was by the nightstand.

"I have always loved Miss Katherine as a daughter, that's why when she told me to help her bury the baby I was angry but did it anyway. I also helped clean Miss. Carrie.....she looked so fragile and bloody. I wanted to tell you what Miss. Katherine did but she forbade me and told me I couldn't tell you until you came looking for me." She said looking him in the eyes

"What...about Skylark?" Jonathan said

"When Miss. Katherine was having your kid and asked Miss. Carrie to fake she was pregnant too... well, Miss. Carrie wasn't faking it But you already knew that. What you didn't know was that Miss. Katherin told Miss. Carrie to switch kids since she didn't want a boy as a firstborn" She said hesitating 

".........." Jonathan sat speechless not believing what he was hearing but knowing it was the truth even if he tried to hide it

 She said starting coughing Nicolas got up but she held up her had as to stop him then said

"I hope you appreciate Miss. Carrie more and think of her happiness"

      Jonathan stood quietly not knowing what to say or do. It was too much for him to know and he couldn't believe the monster he had been. Not only he hurt his wife a lot of times, but he also forced her to make rash decisions. Many times she told him to be better to his people but he ignored her and was harsh, of course, Carrie helped the poor when she thought he didn't notice although he did but thought it was a plan of hers to seduce him. He had been an idiot and he admitted.

"How I know you are speaking the truth?" He asked her but she was already lying down on the bed with her eyes closed. She looked so peaceful and filled with so much wisdom he wondered how many sleepless nights she passed after not being able to tell anything.  He shook his head and took off his coat then wrapped his coat around her as to warm from the cold.

"Thank you....I hope I am not too late" Jonathan said the turned around to looked for Carrie 

    When he left the old women chuckle and got up and wished for the best. She had waited a long time to tell him the truth. She wondered what made Katherine tell him the truth but was glad she decided to tell the truth. Lillian was going to the kitchen when she saw a dark shadow appeared near her then disappeared but took no notice of it until she felt an arm around her then something hitting the back of her head. Everything moved fast and didn't give her a chance to say anything or even make a sound. The shadow pulled her toward her bedroom and wrapped the coat around her neck to leave marks on the body, once there were marks then the shadow took off the jacket and wrapped the body. The shadow looked at the women with pity but this needed to be done so the Royals would be a mess. 

   Meanwhile, the party was done and everyone was going home by the time Jonathan returned to the party. He found Carrie hugging a young man and saw him spinning her around with his arms wrapped tightly around her waist and hers around his neck when he was done she giggle and kissed his cheek softly, beside them was Nicolas with Skylark smiling at each other. The image made Jonathan enrage and walked toward Carrie and pulled her by her elbow toward him causing her to wince. Onyx saw her in pain and pushed her slightly away then punch Jonathan as hard as he could, Jonathan not being quick enough stagger backward but then move to punch Onyx but he ducked and was about to hit him again but felt someone grabbed him from behind allowing Jonathan to hit him in the stomach. Jonathan was going to take advantage that Nicolas was trying to call the guy when he went to punch the guy but punch Carrie instead since she got in the way causing the rest of the women to shriek in panic. Carrie fell to the floor and her lip was bleeding. Jonathan stood shock and was going to help her get up but she held her hand as to stop him and spat "No" filled with venom. Then slowly by herself, she got up and motion Nicolas to let go of the guy, making the guy growl and hug her tightly. Jonathan looked at him with envy knowing if he ever touched Carrie liked that she would flinch unless they were in public.

"Stop it, this is Onyx, Nicolas older brother" Carrie said glaring at him with hatred

      Jonathan was suddenly ashamed knowing how much Carrie loved Onyx. He was also embarrassed because he promised to himself to be a better man to Carrie and ended up hitting her again. Not only that but he failed to recognize his own son even though he has been away for so many years.

"I am sorry," He said sincerely looking at her straight in the eyes, causing her to look shocked but turn emotionless suddenly and said

"Don't say sorry to me"

"I am sorry Onyx," Jonathan said bowing, Onyx growled at him but Carrie glared at him and Onyx sigh then said

"It's okay; trust your wife more she would never do anything to hurt you"

   Jonathan nod then Carrie kissed Onyx in the cheek and bid everyone goodnight leaving, Jonathan bid everyone goodnight then followed Carrie to try to win her back. Onyx was about to stop him but Nicolas held him by the shoulder and said

"You should leave them brother"

   Onyx sigh frustrated but nod hoping he wouldn't touch her without her consent, knowing his ways of forcing himself onto her.