12 || what i choose

We could fight a war for peaceGive in to that easy livingGoodbye to my hopes and dreamsStop flipping for my enemies-Feel It Still, Portugal

Give in to that easy living
Goodbye to my hopes and dreams
Stop flipping for my enemies
-Feel It Still, Portugal. The Man

February 27th 2007Odessa, Ukraine

February 27th 2007
Odessa, Ukraine

Rain hammers down on my exposed skin and the strong winds blow my hair wildly in every direction. In the distance, lightning strikes on the peaks of the distant mountains and thunder rumbles throughout the pitch-black sky. The sound is deafening, it almost feels as though it's shaking the entire countryside. The two of us stand in the shadowy forest, intently watching the road and waiting for a car to appear. He doesn't speak a word and neither do I, as I plait a strand of my hair absentmindedly. Occasionally, I catch him stealing a curious glance at me but I elect to ignore them. Clearly, the man isn't used to company on these sorts of missions but regardless, here I am.

"You don't act like a Widow." he suddenly observes, breaking the silence between us.

"I'm not a Widow." I declare, "I already told you."

"You graduated from the Red Room. I'm fairly sure that's the definition of a Widow."

"No, a Widow is somebody who is at Dreykov's beck and call without any free will at all. I have free will."

"That's why you were used as a bargaining chip with HYDRA? You chose that?" he taunts.

I roll my eyes, "I meant that they don't entirely control me. There's still a part of me left beneath the assassin they forced me to be."

"Hm."

"Just like whoever you were before HYDRA is still somewhere within you."

Before he can reply, the dim glow of headlights appears in the midst of the fog and he raises his gun. Silently, I step out into the middle of the road and stand tall as the vehicle appears from the mist. Its lights are bright as they shine on me but I don't flinch, even as it speeds toward me. When it's feet away from me, the woman in the front seat slams on her breaks, sending the car skidding sideways to a halt. As it swerves toward the edge of the cliff, a gunshot sounds from the Soldier's direction, shooting out their front tire. With the driver unable to do anything, the car topples over the edge of the cliff and a loud crash echoes throughout the silent night and it collides with the jagged rocks below.

The soldier emerges from the trees and the two of us walk up to the cliff-edge, peering down to see the Black Widow and our target emerging from the vehicle. Quickly, I slide my gun from my back and raise it in the engineer's direction. Clearly, I'm not quick enough, as Natalia spots us and moves her body in front of the engineer's.

This is my chance. If I make this shot, the Red Room is behind me. If I make this shot, I can start a new life. Sure, I'm trading one wicked for another. The Red Room for HYDRA. But at least at HYDRA, I'm an 'asset'. At least at HYDRA, I'm not defined by a number on my wrist.

So, I narrow my eye, taking my aim and making sure it's perfect; then, I pull the trigger. Everything seems to move in slow motion, as I the bullet pierces straight through her lower abdomen and into the man behind her.

The Soldier gives me an approving nod and we both head off into the dark forest again, disappearing from Natalia and the world's view, once again. As we wander through the dark trees, the pale moonlight glistens off his metal arm.

"Good work." he states.

"Oh... thanks."

"Could've shot quicker though."

"Right."

We keep walking in silence  and my soaked hair hangs limply around my face in matted locks, the breeze blowing it into my eyes. Using the back of my wrist, I sweep it from my face and then run my fingers through my dark hair.

When I look up, the Soldier has stopped walking and is just staring at me, our eyes meet and I raise an eyebrow at him, so he just turns away again. Twigs crunch beneath my feet as I walk and I train my eyes on the darkness before me.

Only one thought runs through my mind:

It worked. The Red Room is far behind me.

A message from the author:Ratty Natty cameo! Anyways, hope you all had a good day! Remember to vote and comment! See you all next chapter! (;

Ratty Natty cameo! Anyways, hope you all had a good day! Remember to vote and comment! See you all next chapter! (;

- Hannah xoxo

Word count: 764

Date published: August 30th, 2022