8 || happily ever after.

'Cause you're just a manIt's just what you doYour head in your handsAs you color me blue-Norman fucking Rockwell, Lana Del Ray

It's just what you do
Your head in your hands
As you color me blue
-Norman fucking Rockwell, Lana Del Ray

'Cause you're just a manIt's just what you doYour head in your handsAs you color me blue-Norman fucking Rockwell, Lana Del Ray

May 30th 2001
Malibu, California

After the party, we all stayed over at Tony's and didn't end up leaving until about five pm the next day. When we got back, Dad took a nap for several hours, so Mom, Anya, and I just ate dinner without him. Eventually, he did get up, but by that time Anya and I were already going to bed. As much as I try though, I can't get to sleep, so I end up just watching TV for a while. It must be about one or two in the morning when the yelling begins.

Quiet as a mouse, I pad out of my room and sit down on the landing, overlooking the living room. Dad's on the phone, pacing back and forth, whilst Mom sits on the sofa, running her hands through her hair.

"You can't just spring this on us!" he yells down the phone, "We've been undercover for four years! Suddenly disappearing like this will raise alarm bells; people will ask questions!" there's silence for a moment, as, I assume, whoever's on the other end of the call says something, "I have not gone soft! I am trying to protect Hydra from being exposed! This has nothing to do with either of the students!" the person on the other end says something again, "But-" he tries to protest, "Okay, sir. Yes, I understand." He ends the call and throws his phone down on the floor.

"So?" Anna asks, no hope in her voice.

"He said either we return to Russia, or we will be eliminated." he tells her, "I'm sorry. I should have..."

"This was always inevitable. I just wish we had more time." Anna says, her voice trembling.

"I know. I know. Me too." he sits down next to her, resting his head in his hands, "For now, let the girls sleep. We can leave first thing in the morning.", Anna nods.

Shakily, I stand up and stumble back to my room, I heard everything they said. I won't go back there. I can't.

So, I do the only thing I can think of; I grab the essentials and stuff them into a backpack. Just before I can leave, I hear footsteps coming down the corridor and I scramble to jump into the bed. My door slides open and I squeeze my eyes shut, as light from the hallway pours into my room.