20 || not a day

Ain't no sunshine when she's goneIt's not warm when she's awayAin't no sunshine when she's goneAnd she's always gone too long-Ain't No Sunshine, Bill Withers

It's not warm when she's away
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
And she's always gone too long
-Ain't No Sunshine, Bill Withers

Ain't no sunshine when she's goneIt's not warm when she's awayAin't no sunshine when she's goneAnd she's always gone too long-Ain't No Sunshine, Bill Withers

February 2nd, 2013
Washington D.C, USA

One foot in front of the other, I wander along the bridge, through the middle lane. Cars speed toward me and quickly swerve out of the way instants before they hit me, though I don't flinch. Each time they veer away from me, a wave of disappointment washes over me. This mission is different, I can feel it. The Soldier has been wiped so many times but this morning, on the way here, the way he didn't know who I was felt different. My gun drags along the floor behind me, its metal screeching slightly, as it scrapes on the concrete.

Approaching, I see their car zooming down the highway, and I watch blankly as the Soldier lands on the roof. As the man in the driver's seat slams on his brakes, the Soldier is sent hurtling to the road, though he skids to a halt beside me and we both just stare at them.

From the passenger seat, the Black Widow raises her pistol and aims it straight at us. I know she won't miss. The Black Widow doesn't miss. If she takes that shot, it'll probably kill me. Luckily, a HYDRA vehicle rams into the back of theirs, forcing the vehicle forward toward us. Simultaneously, we flip over it, landing down on the car's roof with a thud.

The Soldier smashes his hand through the windshield and rips out the steering wheel; as he does, someone begins firing through the roof and I have to quickly leap onto the roof of the HYDRA vehicle so as to not get hit.

Just then, Aurelia leaps from her car, at me, and tackles me down onto the road. We both slam into the concrete, her still on top of me, so I manoeuvre my legs to boot her hard in the abdomen, forcing her off me and into the stream of traffic. As I stand up, I see Aurelia sprinting full pace at me, and, having not yet regained my balance properly, she manages to toss me off the edge. She's just slow enough that I manage to grab onto her and pull her off with me and, as I tumble, I'm able to shift my position so that she takes the majority of the impact of the landing.

Once she's on the floor, I assume I've killed her, or at least concussed her severely and knocked her unconscious, so I fall back and sit on the concrete with my knees pulled to my chest. For a few moments, I watch the sky and try to regain my breath, which was just knocked from my body.