𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟺𝟾 - 𝚃𝚎𝚌𝚑𝚗𝚘'𝚜 𝙴𝚗𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐

Start from the beginning

"So..." Tubbo trailed off, looking at those gathered. "Now everyone's here, now everyone's in unity... Why don't we fix this place up together?"

Cheers erupted in the crowd, as you allowed yourself a smile.

You watched Niki and Eret cheer, turned to see Jack's scream of victory. You looked to Tubbo's descent from the podium, his embrace with Tommy. You observed Quackity and Fundy, arms around each other's backs and fists in the air.

And then turned to a face that wasn't quite as happy.

Techno, in short, was furious.

Wilbur had brought him in to take down one tyrant. Then that- that idiot had stepped over the corpses Techno had laid to become the new tyrant.

The pig hybrid paced, unnoticed by the throng of people celebrating. His fingers danced over his crossbow, before clutching it tightly.

Your head tilted as you watched him. He met your gaze, swiftly walking towards you.

His foot tapped against the ground in an erratic rhythm once he made it next to you. You could tell he was trying to - rather poorly - play it off.

"You expect I'm going to snap, don't you?" Techno said dryly. "Kill a few people?"

You responded with equal verve. "Not particularly. I mean, I kind of want to right now, but, uh-"

"Y/n."

You paused.

"Yes?"

"Do you... agree with Wilbur?"

"What do you mean?" you replied, raising an eyebrow.

Techno ran a hand over the crown of his head. "He used me, Y/n. He used you too."

"C'mon, Tech. He's... he's our friend." You laughed, hesitantly so.

"I- I can't believe we haven't noticed this until now. What has he ever done for me? For you? What has he done that wasn't just to get something out of it?"

His words bit at some small crevice of your mind, but you fought to push it back. Wilbur was your friend - your first one, at that - you couldn't give up on him that quickly.

Techno seemed to have set himself on convincing you. "I've known him since before he could speak. He used to be kind, he used to. But then he had to go off and run that damn country."

"Hey!" you interjected. "L'manberg became people's home. My home. And it was fine until Schlatt."

"It wasn't! Wilbur wanted to feel good about himself, so he rigged a 'fair'-" Techno used air quotes to emphasize the point- "election. Even if he'd won, things wouldn't be any better."

"You can't say that - you know he wanted the best-"

"Me or him?"

Deafening silence ensued for a few seconds. You broke it with great hesitance. "What?"

Techno shook his head, a dry laugh falling from his lips. "You're going to have to choose. Me. Or. Him?"

"You can't just-" you tripped over your own words. "-you can't just make me."

"Wilbur and I could never stay allies too long," Techno muttered. "Our goals were too different. So are you going to help me stop him?"

Your mouth opened, but no words exited. It was like your voice had been stolen from you.

Of course, Wilbur wasn't right, not completely. But... you could fix things. You could fix him.

...right?

When you spoke again, your voice was small, timid. "I understand how you feel. What you mean. But I can't leave Wilbur - him or L'manberg - behind. I... I've still got things to fix up."

You gave him a weak, bittersweet smile. "I'll miss you, Tech. I really will."

Techno swallowed, adam's apple bobbing with the slight movement. He looked to you, then to the rest of the crowd, then back to you.

He threw his arms around you and embraced you tightly.

"We'll be enemies soon," he said in the smallest whisper. "Just... don't throw yourself in the way, okay?"

You let out a breathy chuckle. "You know me."

"Yeah, I do." Techno returned your light laugh, though it died out within a few seconds.

"Get out of here." His eyes darted around. "This party's going to end soon."

"If you're intending to harm them-"

"I'm not going to if they just listen."

"You know they won't. I can't- I have to protect them. You understand. R-right?"

Techno bit the inside of his cheek. "I do."

"...and I'll miss you too."

As you drew your axe and shield, ushered Tubbo and Tommy to safety, you wondered if Techno would ever regret what he chose.

Maybe he would've, if he saw the destruction that followed his wake. Or the damage that couldn't be undone.

You couldn't quite take your mind off the thoughts, even as you met blade to blade with person after person. In the end, as you stared at the setting sun once more, you settled with a realization.

Perhaps it really was never meant to be.

-----

1445 words (without a/n)

Header by @/thehollowboi on Tumblr

heya! so this came a little (well actually a lot uH) later than i wanted it to, but i really wasn't liking the flow of the part so i rewrote it a couple times. still not entirely happy with it, but hopefully you all enjoyed :D

also have a bunch of testing next week in school so kinda nervous about that lol. just alternating between procrastinating and regretting procrastinating which is not a very good life decision.

anyways, please have a good rest of your day/night! thanks for sticking around, and i'll see you soon! techno simps you get a good ending next time don't worry. byeeeeeee

-Partially Human