Chapter Five

Chris' POV
It felt a little weird not being the one to go with Auria but I knew Jason would have her back. Then again that's the weird part about it, I'm used to being there for her. I guess you could say I was jealous, which didn't make any sense but hey I couldn't help it. It felt wrong being jealous when I really didn't have a right to be, so I put the thoughts and feelings away and instead worried about her safety.

As she walked towards that ladder all I could think about was how brave she she was being and how I couldn't let anything bad happen to her. As much as I wanted to go with her, Jason had told me that it was best for me to stay put so we could avoid the bad stuff. One bad move and it could mean the end of her and result in a mutation that the world just isn't ready for. When her and Jason made it onto the field and the first bullet was fired I wanted to run out there and help. It was so hard trying to fight that urge but I knew I had to so I closed my eyes then I heard a clang.

Jason's POV
I could tell Chris didn't like not being able to be by Auria's side but it was best thing for him, for everyone. I was the only one that knew both sides and it was hard trying to keep it all together. Auria didn't want anything to happen to Chris and he didn't want anything to happen to her. What do you do in a situation like that, how do you help both sides.

I wanted to make sure I kept my promise that I made to each of them. Walking towards that ladder I didn't know what was going to happen next. Would we actually succeed or would we be shot down in a matter of seconds? I didn't know how to move forward and it bothered me. Anyways I had more important things to worry about so I focused up. Besides it was too late to get scared and back out now, I was already on the battlefield at this point.

Standing there out in the open, I had never felt so helpless before. It was new and frightening, I felt so paralyzed by it but not Auria. She was standing in front of me making sure she got herself together so she'd be ready for the first bullet that came our way. Then it came and I remember closing my eyes ready to accept whatever fate was to come to me.

My POV
As I opened my eyes I saw the bullet fly off of the gauntlet. It actually worked, I couldn't believe it, then another shot was fired. I gathered the courage to put my arm up again and the bullet popped off the gauntlet again. Everything around me seemed to be moving in slow motion, the bullets, the figures so far in front of me, even Jason. That's when a whole bunch of bullets started coming at us. I knew what I needed to do and I knew I just had to believe in the gauntlets and more importantly myself.

As the bullets started coming towards us, I started moving towards them. At first I started out slow so I could get used to deflecting the bullets. Then I started going faster and the more bullets I could keep up with the faster I went. I felt unstoppable until they started sending missiles our way. When I saw saw the missile coming towards us, I made sure Jason was behind me and took out the shield hoping it'd protect us.

I put my right arm up and turned slightly left so when I swung my arm I wouldn't hit Jason or swing the bomb his way. I got myself situated and took a deep breath and as I exhaled I gathered all of my strength. I made sure my arm was firm and focused on making sure I had good footing and waited for the next missile to come our way. When it did, I waited until the right moment and swung my arm out to the side.

There was a huge explosion far to the right of us after I swung my arm out. That's when I knew I had done it and that the shield was actually useful. I looked back at Jason and he was utterly shocked but he quickly got himself together as he knew we had to keep going. We moved forward as I deflect the shots fired at us, left and right. After what felt like only 30 seconds, the enemy focused all of their fire on me and Jason. It was so forceful but I knew I couldn't give up. I stood my ground and no matter how hard they pushed I was determined to stay strong.