Bad news

"What the actual fuck is this?" Y/n cussed in a deadpanned tone as if she had long anticipated such a scenario considering the type of person her mother was.

"Oh Y/n, baby. I'm just showing your husband some of my favourite photos of you"

Her mother then jumped with enthusiasm once catching a familiar photo she adored so much she made a second copy to keep behind her phone case then a third to place in her wallet.

"THAT ONE. Oh how much I adore this photo. Do you want to know the story behind this one. So-" "MUM. I think it's best we get dinner ready, yeah" Y/n suggested abruptly, clearly not enjoying how a mafioso attentively looking through her family's photo album with adoration.

"Ah yes yes you're right...but it's currently 12, what in the world are you planning to eat?" Y/n sighed at her mother's ridiculous question before making eye contact with her little sister and prepared to utter.

"Spaghetti" they say in union before exchanging wide grins.

"...Right, of course I have my children eating spaghetti at 12 like it's nothing at all...who's cooking?"

"Not it"

"Not it"

Y/n blinked blankly before cussing out of frustration when noticing she was too busy sending death glares towards the male sticking out his tongue playfully to realise they were competing.

"Fucking hell man"

"Look closely son, my daughter may not seem like it but she's built with amazing wife materials" Y/n's mother commented to Dazai who chuckled faintly when there was only a long train of swear words leaving the H/c head's mouth.

'What a happy family...'

He felt a slight ache in his chest.

'What...?' he thought, lightly placing his hand onto his heart before being stupefied once it was beating...rapidly. But what could possibly be the reason? He wasn't flustered, nervous or excited. This foreign emotion now coursing through his blood, bleeding down his ribs, hugging his racing heart, made him realise...he quite liked it.

He wonder in another lifetime where he wasn't a dangerous mafioso or deeply attracted to suicide, would he would be able to enjoy this very moment without the crushing, suffocating feeling of guilt. If he had met Y/n under normal circumstances would they have truly gotten marr—

"Dazai"

The male flinched at the calling of his name dragged his attention to the person calling him. It was Y/n. He smiled gently, liking the sound of his name rolling of her tongue. What would happen...if she called out that same name with so much resentment and spite? Would she kill him with her own two hands, or that lovely gun she carries around, maybe even a shiny knife.

'Hmm, how lovely~'

This was who dazai was and he was fully aware of it.

"For fucks sake. Are you gonna eat or not because I really don't give a shit if you starve to death" she spat holding onto a plate impatiently waiting for his answer.

"Goodness Y/n. Of course he's gonna eat, look how skinny he is"

"Like I said, I.don't.give.a.shit"

"Pour him some of that spaghetti or something will happen to that lovely face of yours"

"Yes mother"

Dazai stared at the three family members now fighting with one another. Slowly, he began to recall that fleeting reviver and could only chuckle at his lack of shame. He was sure that no matter what timeline he would truly be the same old manipulative dazai. And that made him smile, a very vacant smile.