"Ada." Honey dripped from the lady's voice. Ada gulped. With hesitant hands, she adjusted her eye patch.

"You speak well. I am moved."

Ada saw the lady swing her feet to the side of the bed. Her sandal clad feet clicked against the floor as she approached her and paused mere inches away.

A long, slender finger was pressed against her forehead. The skin was rough. The lady applied little pressure on her forehead and tilted Ada's face up.

"My heart earns no pleasure talking to the people who find floor more enticing then my face." She flicked her forehead. "Undivided attention is what I desire. Is it understood?"

"Yes, yes, my Lady," Ada stuttered, wide eyed.

"Good girl." Lady Kiara smiled. "Now, please do stand up. I only wished to tell you we will be meeting again soon."

"I—" Ada was at loss of words. Was she not being punished for what she did?

"Mistakes happen." As if she could read her mind, the Lady shrugged. "Besides, I have something to ask of you. In the stead of an apology and exchange of sparing you from punishment." She smiled as she backed away.

Ada wished she was punished rather. For the smile the lady adorned, it spoke of nothing but trouble. She remembered the incident from the morning and trembled. Lady Kiara seemed to be a pinch of berserk.

"You may leave now," the Lady said and tossed a candy in her direction unexpectedly. Ada fumbled but caught it.

"Good catch," she complimented and turned around to walk towards her bed.

"Enjoy—" she said over her shoulder as she ate a candy herself. "Close the door behind you."

Hesitant, Ada blinked rapidly before curtsying and walking out of the door.

What a weird woman.

----------------

Ada slightly pushed the stout door of the blood cellar and through the limited space, stepped into the unlighted and cold room, hastily locking it after her.

The last chore of the day. Then I can finally have dinner and call it a night, Ada thought to herself as she held out the jar full of fireflies in front of her while clasping a basket in her other hand.

She could not wait to get back to fill her belly and go to bed. The day was hectic. She had decided it would be the best for her if she tells Mrs Smith about how she bathed the fiancee of the Young master with the dirty water Misty was supposed to mop the floor with. For all one knows, she might get some relaxation in her punishment if she tells the truth. Even if Lady Kiara forgave her then, who knows— if she changes her mind— what would happen of her.

Accordingly, she searched for Mrs Smith all over the mansion but could not find her for a while and when she finally did, the elder woman simply brushed her off and gave her chores to do.

She had washed clothes, washed the dishes, swept the floor of the dining halls, then mopped it, ironed the clothes, folded them, cleaned the bathtubs of the community bathroom; all the while, alert and vigilant of any suspicious smell or sounds around her.

Amidst all the huffing and puffing, however, her ears picked up a rather riveting news: The Marquess of Vamtip, the son of the elder brother of the Count Phillips, Edith Monroe was expected to reach the Monroe mansion in the upcoming week.

Ada tried reminiscing about any significant occasion in the offing, but she could recollect nothing of that sorts being mentioned by anyone. Hence, the news of his sudden arrival was undoubtedly queer.