the rescue | peter parker

(y/n) stood on top of the building that she always went to when she was stressed

(y/n) stood on top of the building that she always went to when she was stressed. school had been hard lately, her marks lower than usual, and peter had been doing more spider-man stuff than normal, so she hadn't been seeing him as much as she was used too.

"oh peter." (y/n) sighed as she sat down. she spent all her time worried about her best friend.

he had been absolutely destroyed when gwen had died, and he held the guilt so close that he wouldn't let anyone help him for fear of the same thing happening. it broke (y/n), because she wasn't gwen and she wanted so desperately to help him.

a sudden crash took her out of her thoughts. she whirled her head behind her and she realized that it was a long spider-like creature that she had seen before. (y/n)'s eyes widened.

"no." she whispered as he giggled evilly.

"(y/n) (y/l/n), we meet at last." he smiled at her, and it gave her chills how wretched it looked on him. "oh spider-man is going to love this."

(y/n) looked around, assessing her options. if she jumped, there was no guarantee she'd be saved, but if she stayed, he'd likely kill her.

"what are you going to do to me?" she asked.

"why, nothing my little pet. nothing until your precious hero gets here." as if on command, peter landed in front of her with a thud, putting himself between his best friend and the evil creature. "why, if it isn't the one and only spider man."

"you leave her out of this." peter growled. your brows furrowed as you realized what was going on.

"peter-" he paid you no attention.

"oh, this little gem? she's no longer your concern parker." without warning, he threw a hand out and one of the metal tentacles he was controlling threw (y/n), and she went flying into the wall of the taller building next to the one they stood on.

"(Y/N)!" peter screamed. he immediately shot a web, slowing her fall and gently placing her on the ground below them, where she'd be safe.

the room was spinning and stars appeared everywhere. (y/n) tried her hardest to get up, to warn peter of what she knew was coming and to help him, but the blow was too much. her head was spinning harder, her breathing slowing, and she blacked out.

the next time (y/n) woke up it was the beeping of a heart monitor and the bright lights in a small room. she couldn't move. she tried to, tried to do something other than blinking her eyes but for a few minutes that proved impossible.

"(y/n)!" a voice whisper shouted. "oh thank gosh you're alive. NURSE NANCY SHE'S AWAKE!"

the loud voice produced from whoever stood in front of her startled her.

"ouch." her voice sounded as if she had swallowed a blender. "water."

the nurse rushed in.

"(y/n)!" she began poking with her stethoscope and checking some notes on her pad. "take a few deep breaths. you took a pretty hard hit. lucky spider-man here was around. i'll go get the doctor. there's water next to your bed."

(y/n) looked around slowly, her head throbbing more with each second she moved. peter, who (y/n) noticed was still in his spider-man suit, saw her struggling and immediately went to get it for her.

"here. don't try to move please." he sat down on the edge of her bed and sighed. "i thought i'd lost you!"

"what," (y/n) struggled to sit up as she spoke, "what happened?"

peter sighed.

"someone's been stalking me." peter blurted. he must've seen the look on her face because he quickly continued "not like a fan or anything. someone evil. someone who wanted to know the best way to break me in half and destroy all my will to fight."

(y/n) sat up slowly but surely. she placed a hand on peter's arm and blushed when she felt herself wishing that he would just hold her and never let her go.

"how'd we-" (y/n) coughed, but peter knew what she was asking; "how did we get here?"

a tear rolled down his cheek.

"i-i wasn't quick enough. this stalker figured out, well, he realized that the only way to break me down enough to stop me from going after him would be through you. he-he threw you into a wall. i caught you with a web before you hit the ground. but i wasn't quick enough, and now we're here. because of me." peter sighed and his shoulders shook lightly with sobs. (y/n)'s heart hurt at how much guilt he had. "i'm so sorry (y/n). i-i understand if you don't want me around anymore."

he tried to get up, but (y/n) held onto him. she violently shook her head.

"don't leave." her voice wasn't clearing up at all, but peter heard her very clearly. "don't go."

"(y/n), i can't keep you safe-"

"you saved me peter. what more could you possibly do?"

"if it weren't for me you wouldn't have been in that position in the first place." peter say back down, burying his face is his hands but still holding hers. "don't you get it? he wanted to hurt you because of how much i l-"

"how much you what peter?" he stayed quiet, but sat back down next to her on the hospital bed she was confined too. "what?"

before he could answer, the doctor came into the room.

"ahhh, miss (y/l/n). glad to see you up and moving. how to do you feel?" she began taking (y/n)'s temperature, feeling her face and poking parts of her body, making sure everything felt normal.

"i've been better." the doctor chuckled.

"well, the good news is, all your vitals seem to be mostly normal. of course you'll need to stay in for another week or so for us to keep an eye on that head injury of yours." the doctor kept speaking, but (y/n) wasn't listening. she was focused on peter, who sat next to her with hard eyes. "i will be back in an hour to check on you."

with that, she left the room.

"peter, why would hurting me be the way any bad guy would try to get to you?" peter sighed.

"because you're the most important person in my life. you're the first person i think about when i first wake up and the last before i fall asleep. because you're the only person whose text messages make me smile harder than i have since gwen died. you're the person that makes me the happiest i've ever been, and everyone who's ever seen me interact with you can tell how much you mean to me." he leaned closer and placed a gentle hand on (y/n)'s head. she felt a searing pain, but ignored it. "because i need you more than i need anyone else. i love you."

(y/n) gasped.

"but-but gwen-"

"i did love gwen, i can't deny that. but (y/n) how i feel about you now," he sighed, "my feelings for her never came close to this. and if she were here, she'd want us to be happy. she would want me to tell you how i feel. and hopefully, we can be happy together."

"oh gosh, peter." (y/n)'s face was turning redder and redder by the second. "i don't know what to say. of course you make me happy. so much happier than i've ever been before."

his face lit up.

"does that mean-"

"yes peter. i feel the same way." (y/n) chuckled, leaning in to him. "always have."

the two sat in a comfortable silence for a few nice moments.

"thank you for saving me today." (y/n) whispered. peter placed a gentle kiss on her forehead and held her as close as he could without hurting her.

"i'll always rescue you my love. always."