CHAPTER FOUR. A PRELUDE TO SUMMER SONGS

Start from the beginning

Of course, that was all because of the separation. Your mother had taken you and Jean to be raised as Lady of the House (you) and Jean to be the next Grand Master of the Knights of Favonius. Barbara, however, was taken to the church to be raised as the beacon of hope at her father's church.

(You often wondered if she minded at all, standing in the shadows of her sisters.)

Likely not. Barbara's kindness is truly a virtue. You'd imagine that if you were in her place, you would crumble from expectations alone. You weren't nearly as strong as Jean or as patient as Barbara.

"Then let's get this one." You smiled at her, withdrawing into the dressing booth to strip off the dress. Once you've taken off the dress, you stare fixed at yourself in the mirror for a long while.

Eyes raking over every surface of your skin, every curve, every slope. You found your flaws detestable, disgusting. A blemish, a discoloration; you glared hard at them all in self loathing. You found the flaws to be inherently displeasing for the eye and for you, it was seen as a defect upon yourself.

"Big Sister? Is everything alright?" Barbara's voice snapped you from your own glare, quickly changing into your silk creme button down and black trouser.

"Everything's fine!" You answered hastily, hurrying to button your blouse, leaving top three unbuttoned before stepping out with the dress in arms. "Sorry for the hold up, Barbara."

The blonde-haired deaconess shook her head at you, extending her arms out to take the dress from you. "It's all good! Don't worry about it!"

Your sister is a good person. A kind-hearted, caring person who always puts herself before others. Sometimes, you wished that you had done more to protect her during her youth. Yet, she remained strong and faithful— believing that everything happens for a reason and her mission was to bring happiness to all.

(How you envied her for her strength.)

Barbara deserves better. You often told yourself that, reminding yourself of how helpless you three were as children when it had happened. The separation came as a shock to the younger two of them, having never been burdened with the horrors of your parents' fights. The afflictions of their discontent with one another were deflected onto you. As the eldest child, you were there to shield your younger sisters and there to play devil's advocate for your parents.

Oh, you recalled the fights. One grew to the point where it was necessary to move the children out of the house entire because Barbara, who was too young to understand, was crying and Jean, who accidentally witnessed the wrath of her parents, was trying to console her crying sister— and you, was attempting to break up your parents' arguments that spiraled into catastrophe. The words screamed at one another, the utterly devastating words that left your mother's lips like a curse cast upon your father.

That was the only time Barbara and Jean witnessed such a thing.

(That night, your perceived conception of marriage shattered like glass.)

When you finished purchasing the dress with Barbara, the sun had already begun to set behind the horizon line. You decided to take her back to the church so that she wouldn't have to walk back alone. Rumor has it, someone has been stalking Barbara lately and the news unsettled you greatly.

"None of your fans have been too close to you, yes?" She was old enough to be self aware of these sorts of things yet you couldn't help but worry. Some people may take advantage of her kindness to twist it for their own personal desires.

Barbara flushed a bit at your words, shaking her head fervently in denial. "Oh no... of course not! They're all very respectful..."

You could tell she was uncomfortable by the way she was playing with the material of her deaconess dress; the way her eyes casted downwards as if guilty of lying to you.