17 | hearts galloping wildly

Start from the beginning

I could hear his harsh breathing, the pounding of my own heart. We reached the staircase and just when we were about to go down, we heard the clamour of voices again. Above it all, Evelyn's high pitched and Madison's enraged voices could be heard.

The paparazzi had found their way inside the lobby and my family was trying to keep them back. Or at least I knew Madison was. She had seen what had happened last time. She was witness to my past failures and even though our relationship was hanging by a thread, she would not let this get to me.

A warm hand slipped into mine and I jumped, electricity crackling up my arm. Daniel's haggard eyes found mine, the anxiety popping like thunder in the silver sea of his irises. He needed an out before his ex fiancée — Liliana — got to him. I understood.

The lobby, the gardens, and the shores were cut off; we couldn't reach them without being caught by the cameras. We couldn't go back to his room or mine, in case Noah or Liliana decided to play our sweethearts. We couldn't go to any of the rooms without Evelyn hunting us down.

So, I do the next best thing I can. My eyes rush over a door in the wall labeled Staff Only. I didn't really care about signs at that moment, pulling him after me. He did not hesitate, not until after the door was shut and we were shrouded in darkness.

"Real original, Olivia," he said, taking a tentative step away from me. He bumped into something, the sound of cans clattering to the floor loud and angry.

I stifled a laugh and ran my arm along the wall trying to find the light switch. Thankfully, I found it along the empty space on my left side. Dim light flooded the small room we were closeted in. Despite the situation and the dire screaming of both of our hearts, I chuckled loudly.

Out of all the closed spaces we could have found, the one we landed up in was the cleaning supplies storage space. Daniel scrunched his nose in obvious distaste and I did not fault him. The place stank of water, detergent, and dust.

Subconsciously, I moved away from the grimy door handle, pressing against Daniel. He seemed to lean into me too because I caught a heady scent of his signature wood and coconut cologne. His breathing hitched; I heard the precise moment his chest dropped.

I wasn't faring too well either. Our faces were inches apart. I would only have to stand on my toes and there would be no distance, no space separating us. The urge to do exactly that was overwhelming but I looked away, bit down on my lip, momentarily focusing on the grimy walls and not the Greek god of a man in front of me.

Much to my dismay, Daniel did not have the same thoughts. His hands snaked up my side, sending giddy shock waves racing through me. His fingers found a loose strand of hair that had left my knot during the run. He twined it around with the gentleness of a feather and placed it back behind my ear.

I sucked in a sharp breath, closing my eyes, when his fingertips brushed against the sensitive spot below my ear. "Daniel. . ." I said, slowly, a warning, a plea to not let me be a sobbing puddle on the floor.

"Olivet," he said, drawing out the syllables with the most infinite care. "Talk to me."

My eyes snapped up to meet his. I had assumed he would be calm and silent but his silver storm eyes had taken up the dark blue of a tormented sea. I was suddenly aware of exactly how close we were, his hard chest pressing down just below my chin. It sent my heart galloping wildly and I--

"Olivia?"

"What?" I asked, completely zoning out. Could I really be blamed when his Cupid's bow like lips were so close to mine?

Daniel smiled, a throaty laugh resounding in his throat, reverberating through my body. It felt like an earthquake had swept over me but I wanted more. More of his laugh. More of him pressed against me, carefully tucking away my hair.