Chapter 18 - A New Threat

Start from the beginning

"What's your name Lieutenant?"

"Lily."

Merryn held out a hand. "Merryn. Thank you for your well-timed arrival."

"You're welcome. We don't take the cruiser out too often as we don't have much in the way of fuel for it, so it's rather nice to get back on the water, and do something useful."

"You're certainly useful Lily. Please pass on our thanks to your marines too. As I understand it, the pirates did one useful thing and cleared the entire area of walkers, so it might be worth putting a team here and trying to keep it clear. There's a lot of valuable quarrying machinery here, good stone, and even some useful defensive positions."

"I will mention that in my report when I get back to the Isle Merryn, thank you."

Merryn looked over at Eddie and Andrew who were sitting together, holding hands under the table. Sergeant Harper sitting close by grinned at her, his arm covered in clean bandages. The man had a lot more colour in his face and seemed keen to get back into things.

"Well Lily, if you don't mind, I might catch a little shut-eye while your marines are mopping up what's left of those pirates. Give me a nudge when we're ready to leave eh?" She closed her eyes and rested her head against the wall behind her.

~

A few days later Merryn dropped into the control centre at Calstone base. "Morning Mal, thought you could do with a cuppa." Merryn placed the cup of tea in front of her friend and he sat back from his screen with a sigh as she perched on the corner of his desk in the communications room.

"Thanks, buddy. How are you enjoying a few days off?"

Merryn shrugged. "It's okay. Getting a bit bored if I'm honest. I shouldn't say that as it'll jinx everything, but Andrew and Eddie have realised they're a pair of teenagers in love and are doing what new couples do, so when you're on duty I'm pootling around on my own at the moment. You can only watch the DVDs in the lounge so many times."

"Well, we keep hoping our scouts will bring in some new films," said Mal with a smile, "but they keep bringing in people, supplies, and other strange stuff."

"I'm still trying to find you some creamed spinach," muttered Merryn.

Mal made a gagging sound and put down his cup of tea. "I get off duty in about an hour if you fancy a few games of pool or something."

"That'd be cool. Okay, I'll leave you to it."

Merryn stood, but as she turned to leave, the radio crackled into life.

"Control, this is Dartmoor Camp. Commander Pike here. Do you read me?"

"I love this woman," said Mal with a grin. "I try and check in with her every couple of days and have a chat."

Merryn smiled and leant against the doorframe.

"Dartmoor, this is Control, Mal here, how's the weather up on the moor?"

"Oh hello dear. As much as I'd love to chat I'm afraid we have a problem. Can I talk to Captain Summers please?"

"Yes, Commander. Hold please." Mal released the transmit button and glanced at Merryn who hurried down the corridor to fetch Summers returning a few minutes later.

"Dartmoor, this is Captain Summers. Is everything okay Commander Pike?"

"No dear, I'm afraid it isn't. There's a large swarm heading this way. We're going to be overrun in about half an hour. They're moving towards us and the animals are getting panicky which is going to attract them at some point. Once they hit the fence there's enough of them that they'll overwhelm us. As luck would have it, Alan and Tom were out for a walk this morning and spotted them from the top of a Tor, but we're looking at thousands of them, not a small group."

Captain Summers blew out his cheeks and swore under his breath. "Okay Commander, thank you for the warning. I'd suggest you and Tom get your gear and move out as soon as you can. I'll send Scout 2 and her team to meet you."

"Thank you Captain, I'll get Tom on the road to you."

"That order applies to you too, Commander," noted Summers, a frown creasing his brow.

"I've always said I would die on the moor, Captain. I'm not about to change my mind now. Besides, I can't move fast enough these days. Tom and I have had a discussion about this, and he understands. I can't get my animals out in time, so I will do what I can to protect them, then I will make sure they are ended as humanely as I can. Tom will bring Alan with him, the dog is a pathetic little lump but he is useful."

Summers opened and closed his mouth a few times, then clicked the transmit button. "You are quite a lady, Mrs. Pike. I wish I had been able to meet you in person and have a cup of tea with you."

"Thank you, Captain. And please pass my love on to Merryn and her team. May I speak with Mal again please?"

"I shall pass you back now," said the Captain, and Mal slid back into his seat.

The Captain left the room without a word, walked into his office, and closed the door.

Mal hit the transmit button. "I hope you've got a shed load of ammunition there Mrs. P," he said.

"Don't worry dear, I have a rather nice machine gun and I've found some rather destructive looking hand grenades too. They should make a nice mess of things."

Merryn bowed her head, tears streaming down her cheeks as Mal continued.

"I tried some of your bilberry jam the other day Marcia. It's something special, thank you for sending that back with Gareth."

"My pleasure love, glad you enjoyed it. Right, the neighbours are moaning at me, so I'd better get up in my gun tower and see what I can do. Thank you for your company Mal, and for playing me that Sinatra song the other day, that made my morning. Tom and Alan are on their way, they'll be following the same route Merryn did. Goodbye, my friend. Dartmoor out."

"Give 'em hell Mrs. P," whispered Mal, then crumpled as Merryn's arms swept around him.