Chapter 17 - It Came from the Sea

Comincia dall'inizio

"I'll stay here and keep watch," said Andrew. "You two get inside and find the others.

Merryn grabbed a set of keys from the dead guard, opened the metal gate, and moved into the passage beyond. There was a door at the far end and she opened it, moving into the gloom beyond. A series of dim emergency lights lit the stairs and, followed by Eddie, she made her way down into the near darkness.

"Merryn?" a voice hissed from one side of yet another passageway at the bottom of the stairs, and a pair of hands reached through steel bars. Merryn grabbed hold of them and looked into the pale face of Hope.

"You okay?"

"No, but better for seeing you. Dan's in here too, but he's injured."

Merryn opened the cell door, and Hope rushed out to hug Eddie. Dan had stood himself up and nodded at Merryn, his left arm held in a makeshift sling made from a belt. "Good to see you Scout 2."

"You too Sarge. Shall we get the hell out of here?"

"Yes please, but there are others."

"Other people?"

"Yes, in the other cells. We can't leave them here. They're food." His voice had an edge of despair to it, and Merryn rested a hand on his good arm.

"Don't worry Dan, we'll get everyone out. Come on."

Merryn led Dan from the cell and then opened the other doors. A white-haired old couple clung to each other in one, several men shared another cell, and a lone semi-naked woman was in the last cell. Merryn found a blanket in another cell and covered the woman's shoulders, leading her into the passageway. The older lady walked over to her and gave her a hug, mouthing "I'll look after her" to Merryn who nodded her thanks.

"Okay, let's get the hell out of here."

She led the group back up the stairs and out toward the entrance gate, but as she approached the outside she paused and held up her hand. Eddie moved alongside her.

Merryn pointed. The guard they had killed was seated back in his position on the wall. Merryn walked forwards, keeping to the shadows, her crossbow ready. As she got to the gate a voice called out. "'Arry, why's the gate open? Wot you doin' man? The boss ain't gonna be 'appy wiv you. 'Arry?" Merryn sprang forward, weapon raised as a dull twang sounded. There was a thud, and Merryn watched as the approaching man fell face down onto the weedy cobbles of the bridge. Andrew appeared from the shadows behind the man, his face grim, and nodded at Merryn as he walked back across the bridge towards them.

"I thought it might be useful if Harry appeared to still be on guard. I'd finished propping him up and was about to shut the gate so it appeared closed when Harry's mate showed up."

"Well done Andrew," said Merryn. Eddie walked past her, grabbed Andrew's jacket, and pulled him into a kiss.

The Sergeant, who was standing behind Merryn gave a polite cough and Eddie broke off the kiss with a faint smile. "Interesting timing," muttered the Sergeant.

"It's been brewing for a while," said Merryn. "Right, come on, we need to get out of here. Going back out the way we came in is not a good idea. Someone's going to come looking for these two at some point. If we move south, then east, we'll hit the harbour. Grab the weapons from these two and share out what else you have between you. Andrew, can you take point?"

Sergeant Harper lifted a gun from the original guard and looked at Andrew. "The area is clear of deadheads. The pirates made sure of that, so the only thing you'll see out there is wildlife and gang members. Okay?"

"Er... yes," said Andrew, still looking a little bemused. "Point. Yes, right, point. On it." He cast a look back at Eddie, then disappeared into the lengthening shadows of the early evening, the rest following in his wake.

After a mile of steady progress, and Andrew regularly doubling back with route info, the group made it to the east side of the island. Ahead of them was the edge of the sea, waves smashing against the rocky coast of the Bill.

"Sarge, can you organise this lot to keep watch for a moment please? I'd better radio in."

Harper nodded and Merryn ducked into an alcove in the cliff and sat on a bench.

"Control, this is Scout 2. Do you read me?"

"Scout 2, this is Control. Mal here. Report please."

"Captives freed, we have Hope, Harper, and some locals, five extras in total. The pirate gang controls the entirety of Portland Bill. We're on the east coast. Harper has estimated the enemy as about twenty in number. We have taken out two so far. Is the Captain sending help? Over."

"He is. And we have support coming from the Isle of Wight too. They should be with you soon. The prime minister is not happy with the idea of pirates and has mobilised significant forces."

"That sounds interesting, Control. Can we get a pickup?"

"Yes, if you can get to the harbour wall on the east side, the cruiser should be able to dock and pick you up."

"Cruiser? That sounds rather grand. Okay Control, we'll do our best. It's half a klick from here, so we'll get moving. Scout 2 out."

"Good luck Merryn, see you soon. Control out."

Merryn packed up her gear and gathered everyone together. "The Navy is on their way. We need to get to the end of the harbour wall."

One of the two younger men who'd be sharing a cell took a step forward. "My name's Kevin. I can get you there."

"Okay Kevin, you pair up with Andrew, explain the route and we will follow on."

The ragged group followed the footpath for a short distance and then Kevin led them onto a narrow strip of shaley sand next to the base of the cliff as the harbour wall hove into sight.

Kevin turned to wave them on and a bullet took him in the head, spraying blood and gore over Andrew who dove behind a nearby rock.

"Take cover!" shouted Sergeant Harper, and the rest of the group huddled back against the low cliff, seeking shelter. Harper worked his way along to Merryn.

A bullet caromed off the boulder where Andrew lay huddled, his eyes wide with fear. "How many Merryn, can you see?"

"I've heard two different rifles, but I suspect more will be coming. There's one at the end of the harbour wall, I've seen his hat, not sure where the other one is."

"Damn," muttered Harper. "We need a distraction."

"Will that do?" said Eddie pointing at the sea.

The tall, gaunt, and disheveled figure of Stan was walking out from the sucking surf.