2558 sunsets | jihoon

Start from the beginning

"Sorry for dragging down our team," Jihoon apologized, almost stuttering. "I know you all want to debut. Sorry."

Hyunsuk shrugged and looked at him sympathetically. "Take your time. It's not easy."

Out of everyone in his classes, the trainee Jihoon was the closest to was Hyunsuk. Although he wouldn't quite call them friends yet, Hyunsuk was the only one he confided in from time to time about his struggles. However, he knew the blonde-haired boy had a whole group of friends, being the social butterfly he was, and that group of friends obviously didn't include him. He wouldn't sulk about it.

A knock on the practice room door interrupted his thoughts. The coach swiftly turned around and started walking toward it.

"There will be a new trainee in your class today," the coach announced as he introduced a pretty boy who shyly stood on the threshold of the practice room's door. "He was recently scouted by YG and has been assigned to be in your team. Please make him feel welcome."

"Hi, I'm Kim Junkyu," the cute guy with a beret said, waving his hand sheepishly in the air. He smiled awkwardly and bowed down to the coach and then to the rest of the class. "I tried for the vocal position.'

Hyunsuk approached him first. "Hello! I'm Choi Hyunsuk. Welcome to our team! If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to tell me. I will try to help you wholeheartedly."

"Or me!" Yedam piped in, intrigued by the new kid. "I am the longest trainee here, Bang Yedam. I know all the tricks, so just hit me up!" And he winked.

Junkyu politely laughed at their words. He put his hands together in a gesture of gratitude and bowed down once more. "Thank you so much. I will keep it in mind."

Haruto approached him with curiosity, Jeongwoo right after him. "How old are you?"

"Sixteen."

So, he is a 00 liner, Jihoon thought. Just like me.

He stared at the new guy for a while. He was still full of hope, blooming with pride for being accepted by YG, working hard for the debut. That was Jihoon when he had first been scouted, years ago. Then, slowly, he realized that it wasn't rainbows and sunshine. It was a constant cycle of stress, worry, pain, and torture that could take a toll on anyone. He hoped it wouldn't happen to this new kid.

After Junkyu's arrival, they practiced and practiced until the late afternoon. It was hard, too hard. They were not totally synchronized before the new boy's arrival, and now with the adjusted formations, they were even less synchronized. People would believe they were not even dancing the same dance!

Junkyu tried to follow the movements, but since he was new to all of this, he didn't succeed and eventually just gave up and tried to fade into the background. Jihoon could see the disappointment and shame on the poor boy's face, and he felt a pang to his stomach. That was exactly how he felt most of the time.

Hyunsuk seemed to understand how serious the situation was because he stopped the music and stood in front of the group. "I think that's it for today. I know you guys are all tired. Let's rest at the dorms and practice more tomorrow, alright?"

Doyoung nodded once. He wiped the sweat on his forehead. "Alright."

The coach watched them and didn't see anything. He respected Hyunsuk's leadership. However, when Doyoung passed by him and was about to walk out of the door, he stopped him.