I cast a glance at the man. "I don't see why not. Has he seen your driving skills yet?"

"I've been practicing!" Jess flushed. "And it's much better now that the brakes actually work."

"Then count me in for the afternoon trip too," Nicky piped up. "We need to wear those things down a bit so they don't stop so quickly when you slam your foot on the pedal."

"One," I began, "brakes are supposed to slow down a vehicle when you stomp on them. Two, there are only two seats in that side-by-side."

"Brakes are a lot like tires. There are many different definitions of 'good enough'," Nicky said without batting an eye. "As for Logan, he can stand in the back and hang onto the roll cage bars like Rambo."

"I believe Rambo held onto a gun," John mused, "although it's been a while since I've seen the movies." Even as Nicky turned her unimpressed gaze upon him, John realized his error and quickly added, "Not that it's relevant to this situation. I just hope you aren't planning on driving in a similar fashion."

After a long, hard look, Nicky sighed. "If it had just been Logan, I'd be burning donuts, but my driving is seriously curtailed when Trinity's sister is in the side-by-side."

"What about you, Trinity? There won't be room if I come along," Logan said quietly.

"I'll jog beside them. Are you up for this sort of joyride?"

"I can hang onto the roll bars. I don't think it will be too bad."

He had clearly never seen Nicky's driving.

"Take my advice and get out of the vehicle if Jess does," I told him solemnly. "Otherwise, it might be too much temptation for Nicky."

He looked confused but nodded.

I had a sneaking suspicion he'd be much wiser by the end of the afternoon.

~

       Logan stood in the back with a firm grip on the bars on top of the side-by-side. I had to give him credit for handling the ride so far. He never trusted himself to just one hand, and his knuckles had only gone white a few times.

"Over here," I said, veering away from the trail as I located one of the plants Jess wanted.

"Oh, good," Jess said, getting out as the side-by-side stopped beside the waist-high shrub I found. "I was hoping to find one of those. It could take me a bit to pick some of these buds off."

"Take your time," I told her, "although you might want to mark it on a map so you can find it in the future."

"That's a good idea!"

Nicky turned the vehicle off and twisted sideways in her seat with a yawn. Against my recommendation, Logan hadn't gotten off the side-by-side yet, although he was fairly safe since it wasn't running. Nicky also noticed this and regarded the man, who was staring vacantly at a nearby tree.

She followed his gaze, craned her neck a few ways, then peered back at him. "If you stare at that tree any harder, I'm going to think Nina is hiding behind it."

That caught his attention, and his startled – and faintly guilty – gaze snapped over to her. Completely taken by surprise, he stammered out, "Err, what makes you say that?"

"Seriously? Nina and Daniel may have the non-scientific observation skills of a gnat, but some of us can see the light at the end of the tunnel."

"What tunnel is this?" Jess asked, only half paying attention as she carefully trimmed off every third bud.