chapter 1: good morning, belleville

y/n's pov

new jersey was a pretty simple place to be. or at least, to me it was. 

living with my parents here in belleville, they didn't care much about what i did with my time. not to say that my parents don't love me, it's just that they're pretty chill people who let me do whatever i want.

 i live a walking distance from school. every weekend i'll visit the school's tennis court with a few of my friends to go and skateboard. today's our last day of summer, and tomorrow we'll start our junior year of high school. 

there are lots of people i know always talking about how they don't want to leave high school, but personally, i can't wait. college means adulthood, and adulthood means i can finally pursue my dream of music. my parents are cool with the idea, so why not? 

one day, i want to start a band. with who, i'm not sure. my friends have so much music potential, and we tried putting together a band before, but in the end it just never worked out. 

but i guess it doesn't matter right now. i'm only a junior after all, and i have lots of time to figure out how i'll get started in the music industry. 

my thoughts were interrupted by three loud knocks on my bedroom door.

"Y/N!!!! HOW LONG IS IT GOING TO TAKE TO GET READY TO GO TO A FUCKING TENNIS COURT???"

oh shit. i forgot i'm supposed to be getting ready. well, that was a rude awakening. time to snap back into reality, i guess.

i sighed. "sorry, hayley. i'll be down in a bit," i said in a loud enough voice for her to hear from the other side.

that was my best friend since the second grade, hayley williams. she's a lot louder than i am, but she's sweet. she has an amazing singing voice. i think she'll be in a really successful band one day.

i quickly threw on a misfits shirt paired with some black ripped jeans. on top of that i put on an oversized flannel shirt, partially wrinkled from being stuffed in my drawer. i rummaged through my socks drawer to find a matching pair, and shoved my feet into some old converses. 

i took my eyeliner from my desk and scurried to the mirror to draw two small wings on each side, but was stopped once again by another three knocks on the door. 

"please hurry up, y/n... deryck's already outside," i heard hayley murmur.

i finished up my eyeliner and took a short look at my reflection. i shrugged.  that's good enough, i guess. 

i unlocked the door. 

"god, what took you so long?" she exclaimed, throwing her hands up in the air. she had boyfriend jeans and a zip-up hoodie on, her bright orange hair combed neatly.  i don't understand how she manages to look great AND already be ready by fucking 10 in the morning.

i sprinted to the garage and grabbed my skateboard. i had second thoughts about grabbing my helmet but shrugged it off. i don't really need it. 

 i dashed out the front door and saw deryck standing in the middle of the yard. 

"what took you so long?" he squinted his eyes and scratched his pointy blonde hair.

"deryck whibley, you and hayley are EXACTLY the same." i rolled my eyes. 

all three of us stepped on our boards and started to skate down the side of the road quietly.

"so, whaddya think of school starting tomorrow?" i asked, breaking the awkward silence.

hayley shrugged. "i think it'll be the same. do you think the freshmen would be interested in your club this year?"

shit. i completely forgot about that.

i started guitar club when i was a sophomore. i'm technically the president, but i don't like calling myself that since it draws a lot of attention to my name. our music teacher, mr. armstrong, helps me run meetings for the club every tuesday.

the club only consists of hayley, deryck, and a few band kids. we really just bring our guitars and jam out, and if anyone writes songs we can perform them to the rest of the club and get feedback. it's a fun time, but i doubt anyone would join this year.

"uh.." i started. "probably not. i mean, maybe.. b-but i don't think so." i stammered. 

"i can help you put up posters around the school sometime to advertise for it," deryck offered.

"no, that's ok. you don't have to." i stopped him.

i looked up, and we were at the court. only, there were people there. 

4 boys to be exact. they were all moderately tall, except for one midget-looking boy. they all had rackets in their hands and i watched as the little guy swung and hit a bright yellow ball across the net. he hit a raven-haired boy in the face. "OW!!!! WHAT THE FUCK, FRANK?" he put one hand to his eye.

much to my surprise, the raven-haired boy dropped his racket, jumped over the net, and started chasing the so-called boy named frank. 

"HAHAHH!! COME AND GET ME, GEE!" frank squealed.

gee? i guess that's his name?

"oh my god, who are these fuckers?" deryck muttered under his breath. "what are they doing here?"

"i have no idea." i watched as the two boys ran around in circles around the court. the two other boys stood and laughed obnoxiously. one of them with long, fluffy hair got out his phone and started recording the chaos. i turned and saw the one named gee pinning frank on the ground. he looked up. "TORO!!! STOP RECORDING!!" he laughed.

"alright, i've had enough of this shit.." i heard hayley say. she started to walk, and i tried to grab her arm to stop her. 

"HEY!!!!!" hayley yelled, storming up the court. "STOP FUCKING AROUND AND GET OFF OUR COURT!!" 

all four of them shot their eyes at her. 

"your court?" the guy named gee snapped. i saw his smile disappear from his face.

"we skate on this court every summer," deryck replied.

gee tossed his long, black hair back. it almost reached his shoulders and he put on a very sassy face. "yeah?" he scoffed. "last time i checked, tennis courts are for playing tennis, not skating around." he put one hand on his hip. 

my god, this guy is full of gay sass.

a boy with glasses who slightly resembled gee stepped forward. "you guys could probably use the basketball court," he said under his breath. 

gee looked back at us. i was a little startled when i noticed his eyes gazing directly into mine. there was something beautiful about his eyes. they were the hazel, curious type. i was cut out of my daze when i heard him speak again. "you heard him. use the basketball court."

"you fucking- -" hayley started, clenching her fists. i grabbed her arm. "hayley, don't. let's just go to the basketball court. it's not a big deal. let them play."

she huffed. "i guess if you say so..." 

we did a few new board tricks, then went our separate ways home. 

dinner with my parents was very quiet. i kept to myself most of the time, and sat thinking about what happened today while i ate my food. i couldn't get that boy out of my head, strangely. i wanted to know more about him. is he new at our school? what grade is he in? is he older? younger? 

i may never know.