23 | the brownies

Xael Wright

Xael Wright

For New Year's Eve, all of us wanted to party but none of us wanted to go out. So the best solution that came up on the group chat was that we would dress up and party at someone's house then have a sleepover.

My house wasn't possible as my parents were having over some of their colleagues and friends for the evening.

There were going to be a lot of people in the house, and none of us wanted to be in a place where we wouldn't feel comfortable doing anything fun.

Orion's house wasn't possible as his parents were working tomorrow and they wanted to stay home and enjoy themselves. They said it was fine but we didn't want to disturb them.

Sven's grandparents were at his house and they slept early so again it was no. There would definitely be yelling for the dancing, singing, and countdown so his house wasn't the one.

Finally, we decided on Cleo's house as her parents were going to come to my house; it was going to be free and no one would be there to disturb us. Her parents were fine with it and with that, the celebration started in the group chat.

Today was the 30th of December, the day before New Year's Eve. Cleo and I were at the nearby Walmart shopping for food and drinks.

"Do you think these are enough?" Cleo asked, holding up two huge bottles of Sprite and Coke.

"Definitely, I think they will come for the next year's party as well."

"Not funny Xael." Cleo put the two bottles in the cart and pushed it forward; I followed her. "I know that I overthink during shopping, so please for heaven's sake, don't use your sarcasm on me."

When we reached the place where the chips were stocked, I put a few packets of chips and nachos in the trolley. "You are going to be a great host, Cleo. I know it, Xion knows it, and everyone knows it. Hence stop overthinking."

Cleo sighed. "I think I needed that."

I wrapped an arm around her shoulder. "Come on, we still have to buy decorations and real food."

"Let's go."

Half an hour later, we were at the checkout with a cart filled with chips, nachos, drinks, and lots of other things. I was pretty sure that the money we were going to spend was also going to be a lot.

"Both our parents are going to kill us with the amount we are spending."

"Xael, they might even make us do part-time jobs to make us earn the money back."

"Then let us be ready to work at the nearest McDonald's."

Cleo laughed while transferring the items from the cart to the belt for billing while I was trying my best to help her, which was handing one or two things once in a while. My attention was somewhere else, staring at random shoppers at Walmart.