01 | the guy

Xael Wright

Xael Wright

Running along the coastline, adrenaline was flowing through my veins. I was jamming my Spotify playlist and was having an amazing run. Artists like Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo and Doja Cat were playing on my AirPods.

As I looked ahead, I saw the same guy I see every day on my run and at the gym. I had been using this route since freshman year. and now I was in my junior year in college but I still didn't know his name.

Now you must be thinking if you had seen him almost every day for the past three years why I didn't know his name. I guess a part of me didn't have the guts to ask for his name. I was sure that he had also seen me. Till now they have been only stolen glances between us.

Running back home to my dorm, I saw my roommate and best friend Cleo doing yoga next to her bed. Cleo was also a fitness freak but did yoga and meditation instead of going for runs and to the gym.

"Hey! What time did you wake up?" I remembered seeing her asleep when I went for my run. She looked up at me and showed five fingers telling me to wait for her. After she was done, she sat across from me. 

"I woke up at 6 am just after you went for your run. I had some assignments to do last night," she explained. 

I nodded my head in understanding as one of us woke up late whenever we had some studying to do the previous night. Otherwise, we woke up at the same time. I started my day by going for my run and she started it by doing yoga.

After that, I went to take a shower. I stripped out my clothes and stood below the shower. I applied some conditioner and untangled the knots in my hair. While I was waiting for it, I scrubbed my body with my lavender body wash and then proceeded to wash the conditioner.

 My hair was not exactly long nor was it short. I just had shoulder-length black hair. Taking some of my shampoo I lathered my hair till enough foam came and I washed it. Coming out of the shower, I wrapped a towel around my body and then one more on my head.

I came out of the bathroom and Cleo went into it. I applied some moisturizer and slipped on some clothes. I wore a grey sweatshirt and some blue skinny jeans accessorizing with a silver chain on my neck with some rings on my fingers. I wore my favourite blue and white Air Jordan 1.

 Packing my backpack with the required books and notes, I started scrolling through Instagram to pass time. Cleo came out and did her usual routine.

"Ready," said Cleo as she walked out the door with her backpack, keys and phone. I followed her and walked to the campus coffee shop.

"So today also I saw the guy," I said to start a conversation. 

"You see him every day and still cannot ask his name?" questioned Cleo. 

She thought that I should just muster up the courage and ask his name. I thought it was kind of a hypocrite of her to say that.

 "Says the person who has a crush on Xion and cannot tell him that," I said, teasing her. Instantly her cheek went pink.

I wanted her and my elder brother to get together but they both were too stubborn to do anything.

Walking into the coffee shop, I ordered a coffee for myself and tea for Cleo. Savouring our drinks, we walked out of the coffee shop.

"How many classes do you have today?" I asked Cleo.

"I think around four. I will be back by around 3:30 pm. How about you?"

"Wait let me check," opening my bag, I took out my timetable and checked for my classes. "I also have four. I think you and I will be done by the same time. We can go back to the dorm together."

"This is me," told Cleo as she walked into her classes. I waved her a bye and started walking to my classes. While walking, my thoughts were occupied by the guy. I felt like I should do something but I didn't have the courage.

-------------------------------------

What do you think happens?

𝐏𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐯𝐨𝐭𝐞.