17 - Crashing a Wedding

Start from the beginning

"No," I reply.

"Yes." He gives me a pointed look before lifting his hand. I watch as blue magic emits from his fingertips and a small gasp slips out when a long dress suddenly clings down my body.

"No, Magnus I am not going. Get this off me," I demand. He cocks his head to the side, bringing his hand to his chin as if he is contemplating my outfit.

"You're right. The dress doesn't scream 'I'm stealing your man'," Magnus says. He clicks his fingers again and the dress transforms into a shorter one that cuts off at my knees.

"I'm not going to Alec's wedding. I'd rather let a demon eat me alive than go back to the Institute." Magnus lowers his hand from his chin and watches me for a moment.

"Well, I have located every magical item from Ragnor's things. So I will be going to the Institute today and I'm assuming a mission will be formed during my visit," he somewhat hums, knowing that I'll go with him if a mission is on the table. I stay silent as I stare at him, not wanting to break. But I am soon cursing under my breath.

"You're a cruel Warlock," I growl. Magnus grins in victory.

"You aren't the first to tell me that, and you won't be the last." He snaps his fingers and I feel the dress change again. I watch as Magnus' expression lights up and I know he has his mind set on whatever he has put me in. Quickly, he ushers me towards the mirror and I find my body stilling at the sight of myself. I'm in a long, off the shoulder gown that has sleeves stretching all the way to my wrists. The colour is a deep blue and the dress clings to my every curve which makes the overall look scream in sophistication and elegance, all labels I would never dream of considering myself. I shift slightly and that's when I see the slit that stretches up my left leg, all the way to my upper thigh.

"Magnus, I can't wear this," I mutter suddenly growing conscious of myself. I have never once been self conscious over my appearance. But going to someone else's wedding wearing this... it's too much.

"Of course you can. Its not like I'm dressing you up in something skimpy and scandalous that will cause a scene," he says walking towards me.

"You might as well be. I look-" I stop as Magnus waves his hands, turning my once loose hair into an elegant half up half down style, one that makes me look as though I'm royalty.

"Perfectly acceptable to attend a wedding," he finishes for me. I shake my head and turn to face him.

"Magnus, it isn't acceptable for me to go with the motive of upstaging the bride."

"How is it your fault if you look gorgeously stunning? It's a simple dress with no detail. Now come on," he says before sending another wave of magic towards me, wrapping my feet in a pair of simplistic heels. "We have a wedding to crash."

——

Magnus is practically pushing me along the corridors towards the chapel where the wedding is taking place. I can faintly hear the rumble of the Silent Brother talking, conducting the service, though my franticly beating heart is trying its hardest to drown it out. I truly don't understand why I let Magnus talk me into this. I don't think I can sit and watch Alec promise his life to another woman. I feel sick just thinking about how he is going to be looking at Lydia.

Magnus continues to shove me towards the chapel, his forceful actions making me have to focus on staying on my feet rather than the thoughts that taunt my mind. We reach the chapel doors and I plant my heels into the floor to cease all movement which causes Magnus to move past me to meet my eye.

"Magnus, please don't make me do this," I beg, my voice shaking as panic takes over. He sighs gently and takes a step closer to me.

"Maelys, if you truly don't want this, if you are willing to let Alec marry another without putting up a fight, then I will not force you," he says. I try to look back to him, but my eyes stay glued onto the door to the chapel. Just through there Alec is exchanging jewellery with Lydia in a promise to remain by her side. I can't let that happen, right?