Chapter 16; Explanations

After I printed the email, I walked towards Mom's room. I couldn't wait to tell her that Dad was probably alive. But then I decided not to. If I told Mom, she'd get upset because I disobeyed her and tried to find Dad anyways. She'd also get all excited and bring the authorities into it and they'd just find nothing. She'd be crushed, yet again. I couldn't do that to her. He must have deactivated his phone for a reason. And maybe it was so he wouldn't be found.

After I thought about that, I walked into my room. I sat on my bed and thought about what I was going to do next. I called Amber.

First call, no answer. It was only 8:17 so she should still be awake. Second call, it rang for a while then she finally answered.

"Hello," she muttered.

"Amber?"

"Yes, Taylor?"

"I just learned the most amazing thing! Amber, are you listening? Are you woke?"

"No." Maybe she was asleep. "Just tell me what you want."

I took a breath. "Dad's alive." For a second, both ends of the phone were quiet.

"Oh...uhh....well then. Listen, tomorrow I have an exam in the morning so I'll call you when you get out of school."

"I'm not going to school tomorrow-"

"Well I'll call you when I get out of class," she sounded frustrated.

"But Amber!" I yelled.

"Good night, Taylor."

"Ugh!" I hung up the phone. She never listened to me when it came to Dad anymore. I went to bed wondering whether I was right or whether this was just something I wanted so badly to be right that I was just imagining everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, I slept in because I knew I wasn't going to school. I got up and ate breakfast before getting ready to leave. Before I left, I went into Dad's office and went through some of the papers on his desk. There weren't any important papers, just a few credit card bills from a bit before he left. Which gave me he idea to see if there had been recent purchases on his cards. I took one of his old cards from out of the desk drawers so I could use the numbers if I needed to.

When I got to the Bailey Madison Hotel, I parked down the street to avoid paying for parking. After a six minute walk in heels, I finally got there. I went to the font desk and asked where I could find Mr. George Bookings?

"Well he's normally in many different places. Is he expecting you?" The lady at the front desk asked.

''Yes.''

"Hmm...alright. I'll call his office and tell him that-what's your name ma'am?"

"Taylor Heart."

"Ahh. I'll tell him that Ms. Taylor Heart is here." She smiled and dialed Mr. Bookings' office. "Hello, Mr. Bookings. I have a Ms. Taylor Heart here who says she has a meeting with you today." There was a pause and I heard a mumbling over the phone. Then she said, "Alright, sir. I'll send her down right away. Have a nice day." she hung up. "Well follow me, Ms. Heart." She got up from the desk and walked towards a row of doors. When she opened one of the doors that lead to a hallway with doors on both sides. She lead me to a door on the end with a gold frame. The door said "Hotel Manager." She extended her arm towards the door. I nodded, then she smiled and walked away.

I knocked and then walked into his office. He stood up and cleared his throat. The office was dim and all of the windows were closed.

"Ms. Heart," he began. He paused observing my face and probably trying to guess my age. "Good afternoon."

I smiled. "Good afternoon, sir." He was tall and skinny. "This is a beautiful hotel you have here."

"Why thank you." He said shaking my hand. "We do try. That's why I was surprised when I received your message. Please tell exactly what you needed to talk to me about." He sat behind his desk and gestured for me to sit at the seat a cross from him.

"Well, um...actually it's about someone who visited your hotel. A while ago. March 16 of last year." He paused and made a confused face.

"But I thought you were a hotel critic. Exactly why do you want...I don't understand what's going on here."

"Listen, sir. This date has some very important information hidden in it. Information that I need. And if you just let me explain, I can-"

"Can I see some ID ma'am?" He had a serious look on his face that was completely different from the face he showed when I entered.

"Please, just hear me out..."

"I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to ask you to leave." For a second I froze and couldn't move or say anything. He moved toward the phone on his desk.

As he put his hand on it, I yelled "Wait! I can explain everything," not even sure what I had gotten my self into.