"We've brought the cure," Nina began, speaking loudly enough for all to hear, "and Daniel can check if you're infected." She continued with her usual explanation and options, which were received with excited looks and relieved smiles.

Once she finished, Daniel began walking in front of the jail cells, most of which had one occupant, although some held two. "He's not infected." He went to the next door. "Neither of these two are infected."

The man who led us here unlocked each indicated door to release the people inside, although they just waited in their cells and watched the proceedings.

Daniel paused in front of the next door and glanced back at Nina. "She'll need either the cure or the serum."

When Nina came forward, the woman predictably opted for the cure. Nina touched the lock on the door and looked over at our guide, who seemed to be the leader of the Stronghold.

The man hesitated, then said, "Joanne, would you be willing to remain in there until morning? And hopefully in the barn for a few more days? Just in case this medicine isn't one hundred percent effective, I really can't risk having someone turn inside the fence..." he trailed off.

She nodded in understanding. "No problem. I don't mind staying in this cell for a day or two, and I can certainly hang out in the barn for a week-long quarantine. If you bring some yarn over, I can knit a blanket to kill the time. You've been very hospitable considering most would have turned us away without a second thought."

"Thank you," he said gratefully, more relaxed now. "I'll ask someone to bring some yarn and other stuff over." He asked Nina, "Do you want me to open it? Or can you give the injection through the bars?"

"Does this flap open?" Nina asked, pushing on a metal sheet on the lower half of the door, which swung inward easily. "Ah, it does. If you kneel down, I can easily reach through and give you the cure."

The large flap only swung inward, which would allow people to hand those inside large objects, yet weren't big enough for most adults to squeeze through. While Nina gave the woman the cure, Daniel moved to the next person, who was also infected. He continued his circuit around the barn, albeit slowly since most were infected and he was letting Nina catch up.

"He's going to need both drugs," Daniel said for about the twentieth time. So many were so close to turning that Nina was using quite a few sanity serum vials.

Daniel sniffed one of the last cages. "He isn't infected."

I checked the air again and corrected him, "You better get your nose checked. He is infected, but it's progressing slower and isn't as strong. There are only six in here who aren't infected, and you've already found them."

The air in here was heavy with the rapidly-progressing zombie virus, so it was easy to overlook the faint scent of the man's infection, but there were still only six untainted scents present. Instead of trying to detect an infection, I was checking for the lack of it.

The leader jerked his head around to stare at me with a startled expression. The others in my group also looked surprised I had spoken up and blown my cover instead of quietly letting Daniel know.

I had been very tempted to do just that, but this place seemed open and friendly. Letting them know I was a zombie was one way to guarantee they'd give me my space. It would also avoid the usual dinner-time panic when our hosts realized I wasn't eating.

Nina recovered first. "The cure and serum won't harm anyone, and it's better to be safe than sorry if we think someone is infected."

"I'd much rather play it safe," the leader said earnestly, and those in the cells nodded in agreement.