I need to get out of here before I do something I'll regret for the rest of my life.

"I-I'm sorry but it isn't going to be possible! I d-don't know when I'll be back home..." I voice my thoughts, breaking our eye contact. I force myself to draw in a deep breath before bending over to gather my bag.

"No problem, I understand." She clears her throat, titling her head to the side in a seductive way that makes my heart skip a beat.

"See you tomorrow at school?" Bailey's soft, captivating voice rolls over me and steals every ounce of my attention.

"Yes! See you tomorrow. Bye!" I say and offer her an awkward smile before clutching the door handle and hopping out of the car. Tiny hairs on my arms rise when the fresh night air envelopes my body. I quickly shut the passenger door behind me and turn on my heels, gripping the strap of my bag.

"I was wrong about you. You're not how I thought you were. It's quite interesting." Bailey's voice stops me in my tracks, each word of hers is laced with something I can't decipher. My pulse drums in my ears painfully and I forget to breathe for a second. I want to spin around and say something but I can't, I'm at loss for words and I don't think I've the strength to face her.

Suddenly, I hear the sound of Bailey's Porsche sparking to life and speeding away. After a few seconds, I finally gather my thoughts and hurry to my front door, just wanting to take a shower and crawl in bed.

"Mom? I'm back home!" I yell as soon as I step inside our house, the sound of my mom cooking fills my ears. I drop my bag in the foyer and pause when I recognise the familiar smell of my mom's lasagna drifting through the air, making my mouth water.

"I'm in the kitchen, honey!" My mouth shouts and my lips curve into a smile as I make my way to the kitchen, my stomach grumbling slightly.

"How was you day, honey?" My mom questions when I walk into the kitchen.

"It was okay. I'm sorry for being late...I was working on this school project with a classmate. It smells so good, mom!" I apologise and take a seat on the bar stools, watching her bustling around the kitchen.

"Thank you and don't worry, honey! I got your text earlier. The food is almost ready!" My mom answers as she chops some vegetables.

"What about you? How was your day?" I ask, rubbing my sweaty palms on my thighs.

"It was good, I'm kind of tired though. How is Tillie by the way? Is she doing the assignment with you?" She replies before spinning around, pulling open the fridge and taking out some tomatoes and onions. I quickly pluck an olive from the salad bowl and pop it into my mouth.

"She's fine, you know how she is! But... I'm not doing this project with her. I mean we wanted to but Mr. Cole was the one who picked our partners, so..." I trail off and my mom's head tilts in confusion. I clear my throat before looking down at my lap.

"So...I'm partnering up with Bailey Steele." I explain before lifting my head, my gaze colliding with hers. Her mouth opens and closes in shock. I've never talked about Bailey with my mom but I'm sure she knows who she is.

Everyone knows.

"Oh...that's so unexpected. I hope she isn't giving you trouble." She runs her green eyes over my face, scanning my features.

"She's...nice. I don't think she's a bad person. I was at her place today and I met her mom too!" I provide her a decent explanation while studying my nails.

"Oh, you met Harper?" My mom whisper-yells and the color drains from my face at the mention of Bailey's mom.

"You know Harper Steele, mom?" I question, turning my attention to her and swallowing down my nerves. She shrugs before placing two places on the counter.