"Do we have some sort of reservation that we have to be on time?"

"Well, in a sense, no...."

"In a sense? What do you mean? Where are we going exactly?"

It took him a moment to reply as we entered the residence parking area. I talked with security, who thankfully knew I was staying at the Hawksley's residence. He led us to a vacant lot for visitors to park. Once we were parked, I asked him again.

He contemplated with a sigh and turned off the car's ignition. "I was invited to a party event by one of my clients tonight."

"And you didn't think to tell me this before rather than now because?" I asked sarcastically.

"I did say it was a surprise... so..." He trailed off with an impish smile.

"Is it a formal party? Where is it held? And who are the people mostly invited? Let me know now rather than later because you might not know how I'll react then." I warned lightly.

"I'm sorry. I didn't think you'd feel strongly about this since you seem to be someone who doesn't have many limitations."

"Does crashing a party uninvited seems like something I'd do? I didn't think you have such an opinion of me," I said haughtily.

He laughed and shook his head. "I see what you did there. And, I'm sorry, April. I didn't mean to make this uncomfortable for you. If you'd like, we can always not go. I only planned this for tonight since the party is held at a lovely venue." He smiled mischievously.

"And where is that?"

"The Crystal Garden at Navy pier."

I gasped. "What party are we going to?" Don't tell me it's a wedding.

"It's a company function. Don't worry. It's a work event, I assure you. So you won't be meeting my parents or anything," he said and chuckled, seeing my bafflement.

Thankfully, I saw this as an excellent opportunity to get out of the car and a moment to calm myself. After Reed got his things, we headed towards the elevator and remembered something.

"Can we stop by the lobby? I need to check the mailbox. It'll only take a second," I said.

"Sure."

As we exited the elevator, I was about to make a quick beeline towards the mailbox for the tenants when I heard someone call out to me.

I turned towards the visitor's lounge and saw Steve hurrying towards me.

"Steve, what are you—" I sounded breathless from my shock of seeing him.

Steve smiled and held up a thick brown envelope. "Do you have some time tonight? It's your papers for your case—oh! Reed, what are you doing here?" Upon Reed's arrival, his expression hardened, who was a couple of steps behind me.

"Steve, hi. Well, April and I have plans tonight. And you? Why are you here?" Reed asked, stopped just close to my right.

Steve held up the envelope again. "I have some personal business with April here. It's nothing for you to be concerned about."

"Is this about her case against the crazy bastard?" Reed asked without hesitation.

I peered briefly at Reed, who was stoic. And then turned to Steve when he replied.

"Yes, it is. I'm sorry if I'm intruding. I didn't mean to interrupt on anything," Steve said sincerely, and yet there was a look in his eyes. He seemed content to have intruded.

I deliberated whether to take the file and asked Steve to come back tomorrow or go up with us and talk for a bit (since he did make the trip personally to get my case files for me). However, as I glanced between the two men, who were eying each other wearily, I decided it was best not to put them in the same room for too long.