Ten

We were huddled in the living room, waiting for the delivery food to arrive except for Dean. It was then Steve inquired about what happened earlier. I had a glass of wine and a bottle ready on the coffee table while Amy narrated to him the situation.

"Are you okay? Why didn't you say anything when we were in Julian's office?" Steve looked at me guiltily.

I drank a lungful of wine before replying. "I didn't want to remember to tell you the truth."

"I feel like an idiot for asking...uhm, are you okay?" he asked again, shifting the conversation timidly.

"I'm fine." I gave him an assuring smile. "But I'm not sure how—I mean, what if he'll show up at my work again?"

Amy shared a secret look with Steve. And then, she reached and grabbed my hand, giving it an assuring squeeze. "How about I'll stay over today and escort you to work tomorrow?"

"Really?" Her offer stunned me for a moment. But then, it occurred to me. "Well, at least tomorrow is covered. What about the day after tomorrow? And the one after that? I don't know if I can..."

Dean returned and held up the bags of delivery food. "The food is here. And I just got off my phone call from all my contact at the police precinct and the US attorney's office."

"Thanks, Dean. You didn't have to do that now." I smiled timidly.

"It's nothing, April. These people are close friends and work colleagues," he said and placed the food on the table. "So, my co-worker's friend whose sister is a detective told me his bail had been paid earlier this week. When he remained in jail after his arrest, I hadn't thought he'd get a lawyer and pay the bail bond. I should have known better," he sighed.

"It's okay, Dean. You've done enough for me."

He smiled and nodded.

"Anyways, since he's still a convicted felon, if he does continue to harass you, you can slap him with a harassment lawsuit and asked the court for a restraining order," he said.

"I'll think about it. Thank you again, Dean."

Amy clasped her hand, breaking the tension. "I know you'd love nothing but to discuss how to get that lunatic off your life, and the streets, April. But I'd rather let you relax while in the safety of your home and the presence of your family and friends, okay?"

I tried to fight off a smile, which failed miserably. "Thanks, Ams. I'll try not to think of the jerk." I held up my half-empty glass of wine. "Out of mind and out of sight, I hope soon and indefinitely."

Hopefully soon rather than later, I thought grimly.

In the corner of my eyes, I could feel Steve studying me. Every time I glanced his way, he'd looked away and tried to make idle talk with Dean, who seem not to notice it at all.

On the other hand, Amy had noticed his little glances. She met my gaze and pursed her lips, making a subtle shrug like telling me she didn't know why he was doing it as well.

Nonetheless, this merely lasted until Steve headed home an hour later. He was back to his usual carefree self again.

But I spoke too soon.

As the host, I walked him to the door. All of a sudden, he started getting fidgety.

"April, I, uhm," he said and paused, clearing his throat. "If I've known what happened to you earlier in the day, I wouldn't have been so forward. Though I know you agreed to have lunch with me tomorrow, I would understand if you'd want to cancel or—"