Eight

"April, stop staring at me like I've grown another head or something," she sarcastically said and rolled her eyes.

"Are you insane, Ams?" I finally blurt out the words. "What in heavens possessed you to say or even think such a thing?"

"Like you haven't been thinking about it since you met Steve." She snorted in disbelief.

My cheeks flushed at her lack of tact. "When? For how freaking long have you known about his?" I nearly growled the word in anger and disbelief.

"That first month or year?" She hesitantly said. "It was a long time ago, April. But this I do know. You still like Steve."

"Excuse me?" I gasped. "I don't—"

Amy held up her hands. "Don't try and deny it, April. I'm your sister. I'd know."

I closed my mouth and ponded for a second. "If you knew, then why haven't you said anything?"

"Because you were so adamant about hiding it."

I snorted. "I wasn't... okay, maybe a little." I swiftly changed my statement upon seeing Amy's expression.

"So, now that the star may have seemed to align between you and Steve yesterday, I may have said something to him about actually asking you out for an actual date. He looked surprised, though, but not by the notion. He may not have expected me to something about it." She chuckled.

"Wait, back up for a second there," I said, stupefied by her statement. "What do you mean by he wasn't surprised by the notion?"

"I mean, he looked like he may have considered it recently. He only looked shocked to hear it from me," she replied. "You know, he may not have made a move on you because we're sisters."

"Yeah," I grumbled under my breath. "And because he actually liked you, not me."

"What did you say?" Amy leaned over the table.

I leaned away and waved my hand dismissively. "Nothing. Anyways, so is that what troubled him? Was there something else you said to him?"

Amy shook her head. "No. That's was it. And I may have jokingly teased him if he doesn't do anything soon, Reed would whisk you away, and he may not get another chance again."

"Of the time you get in people's business, it had to be now, and my love life, huh?" I said and grumbled incoherent profanities under my breath.

"Like you weren't in other people's noses with their love life," she quipped, eying me perceptively.

I smiled dejectedly. "Sorry. I think this is my punishment for pestering you for the past two years since you returned to Chicago. But I think something good did come out of my nosiness."

She rolled her eyes. "Only you would say something like that," she said. "But anyway, let's get back to the thing about Reed. So, he asked you out, officially, this morning on a date?"

"Yes. And he said I had to reply by the end of the week. He may not be in the city for long."

"And? Did you say yes?"

"No," I said and scoffed. "If I did, I would have already told you I got a hot date this weekend."

"So? Why haven't you said yes?" She stared at me knowingly.

I was flabbergasted. For once, I haven't the faintest idea why I hadn't said yes. I had already had dinner with the same guy last night. What would another date be any different?

"I don't—" I sighed in exasperation. "Should I have said yes?"

"Oh! I didn't say I'm deciding for you. Oh no, you have to make that for yourself, April, as I did. This is your life, not mine. I'd rather not be responsible if you regret it." She smiled sweetly, which made her words all the more sarcastic.