One

It was a happy day. Even though I was overjoyed seeing my best friend married the love of her life, I was at my limit. Seeing so much happiness presented in front of me, I wanted to vomit and curse at the universe for not giving me any of it.

Hence, it wasn't a happy day for me.

What have I done to deserve this without a semblance of my version of happily-ever-after? I thought grimly.

After finishing the third mini bottle of tequila stashed in my purse, I turned towards the open bar on the right corner of the party venue.

By that point, it was a surprise I've kept it together. To be able to sit through dinner, speeches, and the bride and groom's first dance, I'm on my way to a new record of tolerance.

Reaching the bar, I waved the bartender over and ordered myself another shot of tequila, and instructed to keep them coming my way.

"I've always known you were the party girl between you and your sister. But I never thought you're the type who'd drink herself to an early grave, especially on your best friend's wedding."

I turned and glared at his familiar smug grin and the flirty sparkle in his eyes.

"Go away and bother someone else, Crawford." I waved at him dismissively.

"Oh, come on, April. Don't be like that," he said. "I thought you've gone past your hatred of me when Amy and I become friends again. Didn't she tell you that Flynn and her reconciled?"

"She did. But I'm not entitled to like her choices, as she isn't entitled to send you here to babysit me. She did ask you, did she?" I asked, scanning the venue until I met my sister's dark gaze.

I added when he hadn't replied. "How did she bride you to do that? Didn't you come here on a hot date? You shouldn't let my sister get in the way of your free night."

"I came here by myself, actually. And your sister didn't bride me to do anything. I was on my way to the bar and she asked me to check up on you, that's all," he replied somberly.

I snorted. "Oh, really? Just like that, you're taking her orders and hiding it as some sort of a favor," I paused as the bartender put another shot of tequila in front of me. I drank it in under three seconds. "You know, you should be upfront with yourself. Because, if you're waiting for Amy and Dean's relationship to fizzle out, it won't."

My words took him off guard. He had to take a second to recollect himself. "Excuse me?"

I held up my empty shot glass, signaling the bartender for another. "I know you have a thing for Amy since she and Flynn were together. I saw how you look at her."

"I don't have a thing for Amy. And what look are you talking about?"

"Oh, you do," I said and rolled my eyes. "You have this dazed look in your eyes. Like you're daydreaming about your future together. And, really, Crawford, I thought you would have made a move by now. It's been years. So, why haven't you?"

He stared at me for a whole minute and then shook his head. "Sometimes I forget you and Amy are related."

"Hey! What does that mean?" I lightly slapped his arms. "I feel like you've just insulted me."

"I'm not, April," he replied with a sigh. "It's actually a compliment. Amy's a force of nature, and I'm still in awe of why Flynn let that one slide. But I'm glad she found someone who takes care and cherishes her."

"I think you're trying to change the subject," I said accusingly. "So, tell me. Why have you not made a move?"

His penetrating gaze started to faze me. But then, he looked away and smirked.