Six

It was early autumn in the street of Chicago. Although winter is months away, the chilly night air was an excuse enough to shift closer to my date.

While we waited for our order to ring up, we had a brief idle conversation about work. Although I knew some things about Reed from the secretarial office gossip, there wasn't much we could talk about to last our attention. Therefore, I had to address the one person present when we formally met one way or another.

And that was Steve Crawford.

"How long have you known Steve? He mentioned you were in law school together," I asked.

"We did, which was where we met. But I've known Julian's younger brother longer."

"Jensen?"

"Yes. We were in the same college when I was doing my pre-law diploma. We joined the same fraternity, which we created by ourselves with our other friend, Grant. Did you remember him over the weekend? He was the blonde-haired guy who was prancing around with a brunette," he said with a smug grin.

"I think I remembered Steve and I talked about a guy like that over at the bar," I replied with a chuckle.

For a moment, he was quiet. And then, something crossed his expression. It made my stomach churn restlessly.

Had I said something to sour his mood?

Fortunately, he couldn't ask when our order came up. After that, we walked across the street to a small park with a view of the river. Even though there was a rusted tang scent in the air, the smell of the burger and fries was enough to put my stomach at ease. For a while, we both ate in silence. And then, he took his turn to ask the same question.

"So, how did you know Steve?"

"Oh! That's a long story which involved my sister's private life."

He arched an eyebrow. "Did he use to date your sister?"

I scoffed. "He wishes, but no." I weighed my option whether or not to tell him. Instead, I decided to tread lightly. "My sister was dating his best friend."

"His best friend? Do you mean Flynn Stanton?"

"Don't tell me you know him as well?" I held up my hand, promptly stopping him from interjecting. "Of course you would know him. If you knew Steve in law school, you would have heard of Flynn. Those two had been friends long before that."

"If we knew these people most of our lives, how come I've only crossed paths with you over the weekend?" He lightly jested.

"True. I've worked for your family's firm for almost two years now. But when I was hired, you were already on your way to New York, weren't you? Maybe it wasn't our time to meet." I cheekily quipped.

"Maybe." He laughed. "So, other than Steve, is there any common acquaintance we have? I'd rather not be surprised any more than this."

"Depends," I replied with a sly grin. "Who else do you think I may have connections with?"

"Well, since you're best friends with Julian Hawksley's wife, which is the most surprising thing, maybe there is..." he trailed off in thought.

"My sister's currently dating an FBI agent. Do you know anyone working in law enforcement?"

"Well, I think one of Jensen's wife's friend is a police detective."

"Oh, yeah. I think I remember her."

"You met Marie? Did you have a run-in with the law?" he asked playfully.

I stiffened at his question, being reminded that I had the first-hand experience visiting a police precinct. But then, I quickly recovered and playfully chuckled and shook my head.