What If? (The Kuch Rang... Alternate Universe)

Disclaimer: Why I think What If's would not work in KRPKAB universe without having worse negative ramifications that what already existed.

There are specifically two times when there was a possibility that Dev and Sonakshi would part away from their family and live separately. Once, on the disastrous farmhouse argument and the other when they decided to co-parent Suhana in their respective houses alternately.

But, would it work? And what would be the fallout? Sometimes, fate is kinder than you think, even when its harsh.

Situation 1:

Suppose, Sonakshi meets Dev at the farmhouse, but has calmed down somewhat and Dev is also sober. They take a level-head approach, and decide to move away from Ishwari Nivas. While they are happy, they also have this guilt of abandoning their family. Everything goes smoothly for a while, but the Khatri incident comes to light. Ishwari on being separated from her son is already deep in her grief, so when faced with the situation either falls fatally ill, or dies. Dev and Sonakshi upon knowing the truth of the incident, feel ashamed, and blame themselves for being selfish. And even while they try to function normally for their child, they are never happy, and down the years eventually drift apart.

Situation 2:

Now, in the case of co-parenting Suhana. They decide to live together in a separate house with Suhana. Here, in the Bose household, Sourabh's marriage is happening. But, since Dev is not here to avert the gold jewelry incident, the alliance breaks, and the blame falls on Sonakshi (Ronita's mom did not want her daughter to be wed in a family where already a daughter was going to be present throughout, remember?).* And, since Sonakshi never went to Ishwari Nivas, the Khatri incident came to light disastrously, and Dev forever lives in guilt of abandoning his Maa and blames himself. While they still co-parent Suhana, all they have been left with the broken, empty shells of their former selves who will never be happy again.

________________________________________________________________________________

Dev and Sonakshi are not the kind of people who know how to keep themselves above their family. One of the primary reasons, Sonakshi fell in love with Dev was that he cared about his family immensely. Out of the two, she is the one who believes in second chances and sometimes even beyond that. Remember, the multiple chances she gave to Vickky, to keep the family from breaking? Dev, on the other hand that he has to be the fixer of his family. While, he is reserved, if he considers someone a part of his family, he can go beyond limits for them. He took the blame of the gold robbery, so that Sourabh's marriage will be saved.

Dev initially never thought about himself, all it mattered to him that his family was happy. Need to transfer a part of ownership of his company for Neha's alliance, done in a blink. Even get married to Saloni for Neha's sake, also done (Thank God, for Ishwari!). And while Sonakshi knows the value of self-love more, she can forgo it when it comes to her family. She kept her self-respect aside to work at Ishwari Nivas, to keep her family functioning. Even when she hadn't gotten over Dev, she was ready to marry Ritvik for her family wasn't she?

And whatever our grudges with other characters may be, Dev and Sonakshi do not deserve to live in that guilt. 

________________________________________________________________________________

*Truth always shows its ugly head. So, whenever the truth of jewelry incident would come to light, Ronita's mother would blame Sonakshi (It's wrong, I know), and whatever support her family would provide, Sonakshi would feel guilty for messing with her Dada's happiness. Emotions  are never pragmatic, they are messy.

Healthy discussions welcome.