𝟬𝟬𝟲. the almost kiss

Start from the beginning

"Alright, fine. I like Peter. I don't remember when I got feelings for him, but I've been avoiding them for years. I just don't think he —"

"Don't say what I think you're going to say! That boy is in love with you, have you seen the way he looks at you?" Maia raised her eyebrows, indicating that she wanted Freya to answer.

"What? How does he look at me?"

Maia gave her a look that had 'seriously?' plastered across her face. "He looks at you like you're the only one that matters. I just think you two need to talk about this. I'm sure I'm not the only one who can sense the tension when you guys are together." Maia explained to the girl standing in front of her.

          "Look, I know it's hard to be in love with your best friend —" Maia was cut off by Freya shushing her loudly, looking around frantically, and Maia waited until Freya calmed down to speak again, "But you can't hide how you feel forever. Would you rather spend the rest of your life avoiding it or just risk it and tell him?" Maia asked her.

           Freya pursed her lips out as if she was trying to think, but was quick to answer, "I'd rather avoid it." She stated.

          "Freya." Maia sternly spoke.

          "Okay, fine. How am I even supposed to tell him?"

          "Tell who what?" A voice came from behind Freya.

          Freya froze and looked at Maia, who had wide eyes, and that was when Freya looked back to see Peter staring at the two girls, and a smile formed on his face when his eyes met with Freya's. "Hi, Rey." He smiled, not taking his eyes off the girl as she looked back at Maia.

          Maia nervously laughed, "Oh, wow, look at the time. I suddenly remembered I have something to do right now. Bye guys!" The dark-haired girl said to the two, giving Freya one last look before walking off down the hallway, leaving Freya to deal with the conversation they just had and the boy standing behind her.

"Since when were you and Maia friends?" Peter asked as Freya turned around to face him completely.

          "Are you jealous that I have other friends?" Freya smiled before it quickly disappeared when she noticed a bruise on Peter's face, "Did Flash do that to you?" She asked.

         "What?" Peter furrowed his eyebrows, but he then realized she was talking about the bruise he had, "Oh — oh, no. No, he didn't. I'm fine, Rey." He reassured the girl.

          "Was it Mason?"

          Peter hesitated, knowing that if he lied about this that Freya wouldn't stop questioning him, "Yeah, um, but it was nothing serious. I promise." He shrugged it off.

           Freya nodded her head, the two of them falling into silence, and she was contemplating what Maia had said to her. She could either avoid her feelings for Peter, or risk it all in hopes he feels the same way. If she risked it, then she would possibly have to deal with Peter not liking her and Freya would be responsible for throwing their nine years of friendship down the drain. But, Freya had to do something, and her impulsivity took over as the words poured from her mouth.

"Do you want to come over tonight for dinner? Um, my parents are going to be there, though." Freya's voice was shaky, and Peter could tell how nervous she was, and he couldn't help but find it adorable.