Special Chapter: That One Girl

"THAT ONE girl who always wanted to get in trouble," Ranpo mumbled to himself, while his chin resting on his palm and elbow resting over his desk. He has been staring through the window from the fourth floor. His eyes were focused on the school ground, especially to that one girl who's been watching the archery club members' practice.

That one girl whom he met at his first day of high school. That girl who purposedly attended late at their first class— in Ranpo's eyes, her intentions were as clear as crystals. Yet he couldn't understand why she always wanted trouble. Everybody wanted a peaceful life, including Ranpo himself after his horrible childhood. But this girl. . . he hated her for that.

The girl glanced down to her phone's screen and flinched. Ranpo saw her eyes through- they showed mild panic. All right, it's time to meet them at their clubroom, he realized.

Nauna si Ranpo na makarating sa library. He discreetly waited for her, leaning on the wall next to the secret door. His arms were crossed and his eyebrows arched when the girl finally showed up at the library's threshold.

"Good afternoon po!" she greeted the librarian with a smile. It's been a week now since Keith's arrest and ever since, that girl's mood lightened clearer than before. Ranpo knew she was delightful to have her first adventure, as she always wished for.

When the girl met Ranpo's eyes, she halted. Seconds later, her face flushed. Ranpo looked the other way after reminiscing what he did the first and last time he went to her bedroom. He also covered his mouth with his dominant hand, questioning himself over and over again.

"What took you so long?" he asked when he finally gained his posture.

"Ah, hinihintay mo 'ko?" She sneered and held her stomach, trying to act like she was suppressing laughter but Ranpo could evidently see that she's just uncomfortable.

"Yes, I just don't want a dumb girl desperately knocking on the secret door later because she lost track of time whilst watching the archers."

"Alam mo, Ranpo, matalino ka sana kung ita-try mong maging mabait," she suggested with a frown.

"Oh? Matalino ako sana? You know what—" Ranpo let out a an annoying smirk, making sure she'd get pissed. "If I could earn one peso from every rubbish thing you'd say, I'd be a millionaire by now."

"Huh! Kapag dumating ang araw na naging mas matalino ako sa 'yo," she sighed and pointed a forefinger to me. "Humanda ka na. Gigisahin pa kita!"

"Dreams are free, as they say. Aim low, though. You'd be disappointed."

Conan suddenly opened the secret door from the inside and said, "Tumigil na nga kayo. I'd appreciate if you won't let those drinks be wasted kasi napagdesisyunan niyong tumambay na lang dito sa labas."

When the three of them reached the actual clubroom, they saw Newt comfortably having a cup of coffee on the couch. Ranpo took his ultimately favorite spot— the swivel chair behind a table. Cassien and Conan took a seat across Newt's and poured themselves a coffee.

"And my hot chocolate that you bought in a vending machine, Conan?" Ranpo halfheartedly lended his hand, asking for what he wanted but he didn't really want it— he just doesn't any other choice.

Conan grinned and tossed a bottle of chocolate milk drink. Ranpo fortunately caught it, the stared at it for a momentary while. Something's really strange, he told himself.

"This is unfair," reklamo ni Ranpo. "You guys had a fresh coffee whilst I have this thing with more calories that will lead to obesity?"

"Magpasalamat ka na lang na nilibre ka."