Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

Ryan typed "Devon Levine" in the search engine on his tablet and several articles appeared. Ryan read "Dar Tenian and Levine Split":

After three years of managing the Hard Rock phenomenon Dar Tenian, manager Devon Levine left a courthouse in Los Angeles angrily, claiming front man, Adam Dar Tenian unlawfully terminated his contract.

Mr. Dar Tenian appeared in court with his attorney, complaining that Levine laundered money from performance venues, arenas and stadiums by altering revenue from sponsors and ticket sales. He dipped into the band's share of profits, taking forty percent off the top instead of twenty.

Mr. Dar Tenian hired a personal accountant and after recalculation of funds, he concluded that Levine edited the books.

Levine filed for a countersuit against Mr. Dar Tenian, accusing him of breach of contract. He's also counter-claiming punitive damages.

Ryan turned his tablet off.

---

Later that day, Mr. Ross pulled into the driveway and Ryan hopped in.

"Your old man can't sing, but I've seen good bands in my day."

"Like who?"

"When I dated your mom in 'L' 'A' , we saw Dar Tenian a lot."

"Did you get free tickets?"

"No - no, we didn't get free tickets."

"Did you bring Aunt Marianne?"

"No. Why do you want to know about her all of a sudden?"

"I don't know."

"Well, Aunt Marianne did her own thing."

"She lived with Mom in 'L' 'A'?"

"Yeah, roommates."

"How did you meet Mom?"

"Funny story - I lived in the apartment nextdoor and I slipped the newspaper under the door every Sunday after I read it. Your mom was always looking for work. She thanked me for helping her find a job at Pacific Islander Hotel. We dated. Then I got laid off from the shoe store and I couldn't pay the rent. Your mom and Aunt Marianne put me up at their place."

"Where did Aunt Marianne work?"

"At a hair salon in Hollywood. I got a job at a pet store and helped them pay the rent. The landlord never knew."

"Does she still work there?"

"No. She got hired at a better place."

Ryan sat down on a brown couch in Mr. Ross' apartment and he sat in a brown, leather recliner. He played "Who I Am" by Dar Tenian on low volume on the Smart TV app.

"Rye, you can't sing sitting down. Get up."

Ryan walked toward the television nervously.

"Okay - Rye, sing at the TV like your life depends on it. Pretend a prison guard at Alcatraz shoots bad singers. Go."

Ryan concentrated on the lyrics, singing them like a birthday song.

"Your voice is barely coming out of your mouth," he said. "Open your mouth wide like you got big words to say."

Ryan sang the song again, opening his mouth wider.

"Hmm. Your timing is off. Sing in sync."

Ryan sang "Who I Am" again.

"Much better. Now sing it like that again."

"I'll be tired, Dad."

Ah-ah, real singers don't complain. Are you the real deal or just a Dar Tenian fan?"