Chapter three, We're Gonna be Friends

Andora.

October 1st.

The stupid alarm buzzes once and then twice and then, again and again, I can't stand it anymore, I push my head against the pillow, groan and then reach out to turn it off.

"Hey sleepyhead, how are you doing this nice first day of fall?" Sarah helps me to sit and brings me coffee.

"You made me coffee again? Did I mention you're a goddess and I love you and what would I do without you?" I look at her with my eyes half-closed but grateful.

"What do you mean?" I finally digest what she said to me before, then put the coffee down on the bed stand trying to shake the early hour out of me.

"It's the first day of October." She smiles.

"Already? Really?" I swipe my eyes, hoping my blurry vision would come back to normal even though with a dioptre it's kind of hopeless.

"Why aren't you drinking what I made for you?"

"First of all, the way you phrased your sentence just now made me wonder whether you're trying to poison me. Second of all, you know I don't drink coffee straight when I wake up." She giggles, showing me a childish smile, and I know I'll walk into a bear trap if I'll ask her what it is about, but my mind hasn't started working yet, so I do.

"What?"

"Sure you ain't, cause you aren't straight." She continues giggling.

"Ha, ha. Gay jokes again?"

"But it's fun, I'm making it fun." Her smile reaches her eyes, in a way I can't even get at eight in the morning. I find nothing exciting before ten, well, except maybe a cup of coffee. I feel like a proud Gilmore girl now.

"If that's what makes you happy then whatever."

"It really is. And that isn't coffee, that's hot chocolate with cinnamon, cream, and caramel. Taste it, it's amazing."

"Sugar crush already? I love it as strongly as you could possibly love things in the morning. Happy first day of October."

"Cheers."

Oh my, it's amazing. You think that hot chocolate wouldn't go as well with cinnamon but it does and it's incredibly tasty.

"Mhmm" I moan, all the spices and the chocolate mixing in my mouth, creating an awfully tasty mixture, and I just can't help but finish it in one long sip.

"I could make another bad joke right now but for the sake of my tasty hot chocolate not coming out of your nose, and you know... You're choking and dying. I'll refrain."

"How sweet, you care about me." I press my shoulders up and then release them, keeping the hot, empty mug in my hands to warm them.

"Sure, sure. Oh, I forgot to ask you, do you want to go with me and my sister to Olivia cafe today?"

I try to remember if I have any chores or homework, or excuses, but nothing pops up in my head.

And then again, I can remember the absolute least of things when I only woke up.

"Sure, why not. When?"

"Sixish sounds good?"

"Sixish works. Until when do you have classes today?"

"I finish at around two, you?"

"Same." I squeeze into my jeans and pack my bag.

The air outside is light, the wind starts to become cooler and the trees begin to show their marvelous multiple colors. Autumn being my favorite season of the year lightens up my whole day. Do you notice when you walk on the street on an autumn day and the leaves crunch underneath your shoes? Do you know how soothing it feels to walk barefoot on the leaves? Hearing the pleasant sound of them cracking underneath you? Or better yet to go read outside on some bench, lying and looking at the falling colorful leaves inhaling the smell and softness of Fall? Everything seems to slow down its phase, or at least, it allows me to slow down mine.

These red, orange, yellow, and brown leaves let my heart soften and my brain focus on the now, isn't it the greatest aftereffect of all?

After I embraced the thought of going outside I went to the front door.

"See ya in literature today," I say opening the door and starting to close it behind me.

"Luz canceled the lesson you don't remember?"

"No, I actually didn't." That means I have a free period today. Awesome. I could finish reading my book.

"See ya at two then." I close the door behind me. "See ya." She yelled back.