Chapter VII: Yelling

Amity P.O.V.

"Pfft- magic? What am I eight?" I chuckled nervously but Eric gave me this strange look, it wasn't a deceiving or maniacal one, rather pure curiosity.

"Your ears..." Eric seemed captivated by his thoughts and stuck staring at me. It was an understatement to say it was making me uncomfortable. "That's why you're wearing the beanie aren't you?"

"Dad c'mon even I've moved on from that phase..." Eric looked at Luz as she forced a laugh in an attempt to cover up the obvious lie.

"I...I know I was high on something when we last saw each other girls but..." Eric looked down at his arm slightly sentimental. He pulled back his sleeve showing a very clear scar from burns. "This was no hallucination." He left his arm facing towards us constantly on display. I gritted my teeth at the sight, silently cursing at myself for attacking him so badly.

"D-dad...I.." I looked at Luz knowing we were both at a loss for words. She, however, didn't take her eyes off him. For once during this whole conversation Luz was able to hold eye contact with Eric without speaking. Despite that she was still as nervous as ever. I reached over and held Luz's hand to calm her down.

"I-I think we should leave...this shouldn't be discussed out in the open." I stood out of my chair with Luz following. "Besides, we haven't even seen a waiter, we're definitely not getting served anything. No point in staying..." Luz and I started heading towards the exit, once we were outside I suddenly felt Luz stop. I looked over to see Eric had grabbed her shoulder in a panic but immediately stepped back and let go like Luz was the equivalent to fire and his hands had been burned. He didn't want to scare her, he just wasn't ready to let go. To be honest he seemed more terrified than Luz.

"W-wait please...just promise me that when I go back you'll visit." Luz had been staring at him over her shoulder, still in shock and overwhelmed. "I know its the shittiest thing I can say, I'm practically grasping at straws here but-" Before Eric could finish speaking, Luz let go of my hand to turn towards him and pull him into a hug. Eric blinked in surprise before returning the hug.

"Of course I'll visit you..." Luz couldn't help herself from staring to cry, yet she was smiling and giggling through every sob. "Y-you're back..you're actually back." Eric looked up to stare directly at me, complete sympathy on his face. He mouthed the words 'thank you' while facing me reassuring my prior worries about him as meaningless. Luz was right he was a great guy, and he still is. My phone went off making me flinch in surprise. I took it out of my pocket realizing someone was calling me. I stepped away from Luz and Eric before answering the call.

"Hello?"

"Mommy!" I froze once I heard Rain's voice on the other end. "When are you and Mamá getting home?"

"Soon, but how and why are you calling?" I couldn't help myself from laughing. I wasn't expecting to hear her voice.

"I found Abuela's phone! She said to press the picture of you on it." Although Rain seems enthusiastic the fact Camila had her call me made me worry.

"Really? Do you know why she wanted you to call me?"

"No. Her and Owl Mama have been busy."

Busy? Both of them? Why?

I shook my head trying not to panic too much. I walked back towards Luz and Eric and waved Luz over to me so I could fill her in. "Is something wrong?" Luz had noticed my distress immediately, making me feel slightly more relieved that I wouldn't have to explain as much.