Chapter Nine

Darrel

"I think I lied earlier when I said we were safe here"

A shocked look filled Kai's face. Their mouth opened a bit then closed. A gunshot sounded and the noise of shattered glass echoed throughout the house.

"Ten minutes. Get everything you need then we are leaving. When you hear my keys jingle go to the living room."

Kai nods their head in agreement and I run out of the room. I got to my room and grab a duffel bag. I fill it with everything I can think of. Clothes, charger, blankets, towels, meds, a first aid kit. Eventually, my bag starts to fill up. I grab all the money I had stashed, my wallet, keys, and phone, and stuff it in my pocket. I'm a little dizzy and loopy still from getting my teeth removed but I can focus enough to get us to a safe place.

I look around for anything else I know that we will need. I grab a few more items before I thought I heard a voice. I burst out of my room and Kai is sitting in a chair. There's a full duffel bag on their lap and they have their phone out in front of them.

"Kai, what is going on?"

They point at their phone.

"What!" I yell.

They sign, I'm just watching videos is it time to go?

"Yeah, let's load up."

We walk out of the apartment and I pull them. Making sure we move quickly. Halfway down the hallway, an old lady walks out of her apartment.

"Hey Mr.Hayes." says the old lady.

I stop and wave, putting on a smile. "Hey Mrs.Smith, something is going on here. I would suggest you stay inside."

"Oh...Mr.Hayes, is your job giving you trouble again?" she asks.

"Yeah, a little. I love my job just everyone hates the government."I chuckle a little.

"Well Mr.Hayes, just know that you have been the best neighbor I could ever ask for. I'll miss you."

"Don't worry, Mrs.Smith, I'll be back soon."

I grab Kai's arm again and start to pull them. I have their arm in one hand and the other hand is free just in case I need to protect them. We take the stairs to avoid any surprises. We move quickly and swiftly.

At the bottom of the stairs, I slowly crack open the door just enough so I can see. I see no one so we walk out of the stairwell and out to the parking lot. We both hop into my truck and drive away. I have no clue how we managed to get out of the apartment complex without running into trouble. I hang my phone to Kai.

"Can you see what hotels will take people this late? The only reason I'm making you do it is because I'm driving."

Kai nods and takes my phone. They call a few places and eventually find one that will take people this late. Kai starts up the GPS and I follow it to a hotel about twenty minutes away from where I live. When we get there, I grab all of the bags and walk in. A guy about my age is sitting behind the desk and his head is falling forward a bit.

"Sir?" I ask.

He yells leaning back while almost falling off of his chair.

"I'm so sorry!" I scream.

He rubs his eyes a bit. "No it's fin-" he stops and sits there staring at me.

"Is there something wrong?"

He shakes his head. "He's probably straight" he whispers under his breath while looking away. He clears his throat and asks "I'm assuming you want a room?"