𝟎𝟏 . . . hoping for a loophole

𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘣𝘭𝘦𝘮𝘴  ₊❏ ❜  ONE

𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘣𝘭𝘦𝘮𝘴 ₊❏ ❜ ONE

THE FLOORBOARDS creaked under her feet as she edged the bedroom door open, arms carrying a box that might have once been too heavy

       "You're here!" A bright voice exclaimed, seizing the box at once with surprising ease. "Finally!" The girl smiled smoothly, practically beaming at her new roommate. "I'm MacKenzie!"

       The dark-haired girl in the doorway simply blinked, lips pulling into a frown with brows furrowed. She reached for the box. "You don't have to—"

       "You're Theodora, right?" MacKenzie cut her off, twisting out of the way and walking across the room to set the box down on the empty bed. The room was split in half. One side was empty, void of anything save for essentials—furniture, namely. The other side was accented with several trinkets and pieces of character like a memory board decorated with photos. It was clear which side belonged to who.

       "Theo's fine," Theodora responded stiltedly, still lingering in the threshold.

       MacKenzie tilted her head. "You know I don't have to invite you in, right? That's not...really how that works." She added a faint laugh, looking at Theodora with all the warmth she could muster.

       "I have more boxes," was all MacKenzie got in response, watching as Theo backed out of the room, disappearing down the hall.

       MacKenzie heaved a sigh, collapsing down onto her own bed and making a mental note to try that again when Theo got back. It took a minute or so before MacKenzie heard the familiar sound of footfalls.

       "Sorry," she said almost immediately as Theo set foot inside, carrying another box.

       Theo tossed her a glance. "For what?"

       "I don't know," the girl admitted, near pouting as she watched her new roommate set the box beside the other. "You seem..." MacKenzie shrugged.