226 4 0

    "Okay, okay, get over here." I wave my hand frantically over to the sunglasses rack once I've secured my bags on an empty shelf.
    The variety of glasses styles seems to excite Eli the most out of everything in the three floors of the department store. He reaches for an orange pair which I take out of his hands before they reach his face. He scoffs and reaches for black ones resembling sci-fi ski goggles.
    "Rad," he says, making alien gestures in the mirror.
    I pull out my phone to capture the two of us in the mirror, making sure to be discrete so as to not catch his eye. I feel like Eli is the type to freeze up or start acting completely awkward once they know the camera is on them. Sneak shots should be fine. They'll make him look more confident and friendly.

 They'll make him look more confident and friendly

    "I have no idea where people would wear these. Other than to a ski resort."
    "There's something called Fashion Week, you know," I state, like he of all people should know.
    "Fashion Week? What, like, how there's an international day for pancakes, there's a week dedicated to fashion?"
    I grimace. "Sure."
    "When is it? I need to make sure I have my grandma pants and my spacesuit ready in time."
    "You're such a dork." I snort. "It's in the beginning of September. Not long after school star— oh— well, i guess we'll be graduated so that's pretty irrelevant."
    "Hey, what's that?"
    "What?"
    He points to a general area on my phone. I was just done editing the photo I took of us and was ready to post when he caught me in my camera roll.
    "Oh, I had made some mood boards for your new style so I'd know what kind of things to buy today. You wanna see?" If you didn't know this by now, Ryleigh never waits on other people. I whip out the photos and zoom in on my favorites for him to see. "See, I worked really hard on this. It's not just a silly game of dress-up."
    Eli doesn't look entirely convinced.
    "What now?"
    "Nothing, nothing. I like the, uh... I like that one."
    "Uh, Eli that's literally a black tshirt and jeans."
    "Uh," he mimicks. "Yeah, that's kind of the point."
    I roll my eyes. "Unbelievable. Whatever. We're done here, so—"
    "Hallelujah! Woo-hoo!" Eli strikes a stupid pose I wish I got on camera and runs to the exit. Half the way there he returns to me and the rack to put his pair back, before sprinting away.
    I set aside my humor and look back down at the materials I prepared. "Seriously? I put together all this and that's the one he likes?" I huff and put away my phone. "What matters is that I like it, and my fans like it," I tell myself, in the wrong order.

 "What matters is that I like it, and my fans like it," I tell myself, in the wrong order