420 11 8

E

Ryleigh definitely kept my phone company over the weekend. With 79 texts.

Sunday morning I reach for my phone as I brush my teeth and brace myself for what I might read.

40-something texts about my attitude. 20-something "don't expect to hear from me"s or some articulation thereof, some asking if I was okay, and one... one "I'm sorry."

I spit my toothpaste into the sink and call her, not wanting to let her revel in whatever she was feeling over the weekend because of me. If she even was hung up over me.

I have to call twice because it had rung all the way to the beep, but on the second round, she picks up on the first ring.

Her voice comes out first. "Hello?"

"Ryleigh?"

"Yeah, it's me," she says, taking on an uncharacteristically meek tone.

"Sorry I didn't see your texts until now..."

She snorts. "What kind of person doesn't check their phone for three days? Huh? What a loser," she teases, and by her voice I can tell she's trying to walk on eggshells.

"Sorry. Sorry I didn't see and sorry I kept you waiting and..." She doesn't interrupt even when I pause, something I always expect her to do. "Sorry I blew up on you on Friday."

Neither of us say anything for a long minute.

"It's okay. I probably shouldn't have pushed you like that. Even I knew I was being a bit much," she admits.

I nod, forgetting that nonverbal cues aren't transmitted over the phone.

"Do you want to come over?" she offers, catching me by surprise once more.

"Maybe later? Is that okay?"

I just barely catch a breathy laugh far from her receiver. "Ditching me for a game, aren't you? What a guy." I can hear the eye roll. "Alright, I'll see you later. Should I pick you up?"

She can't tell, but I'm smiling over here. "I'd like to say 'Nah, I can find my way there. Walking's good exercise!' but your house is kinda far..."

"Alright, no biggie. I'll drop by. Just text me."

"Okay."

"Okay."

"Okay, bye."

"Hang up, Eli."

I snort louder than intended before ending the call.