Chapter 1

Jasmine.

Blue, green and white--I laid the color on the portrait before I moved onto the shadows, the greyish shadows traveled down the woman's neck and blended into the collars. The smoothness of the colors was perfect as I'd wanted.

I grabbed another brush dipping it into the color and finished the last few strokes on the portrait when Martha's voice came in my ear stopping the movements of my paintbrush soaked in the color Burnt Umber.

The happiness ringed inside me.

"Jasmine, sweetie..." I turned to look at the door and saw her holding a bag full of art supplies and another bag full of groceries, watching her arrival I excitedly ran toward her and engulfed her in a hug.

"You came, thank you so much!" I rested my head on her shoulder, letting myself feel her warmth--I had seen her after a whole week, ever since she'd been working in the castle she couldn't afford to stay with me like when I was a kid; The castle only allowed the workers and others to meet their close ones once or twice a week. It was even less for Martha since she was a cook in the main kitchen, and her responsibility was more than other workers.

"How couldn't I? Whilst my precious little child is here!" She caressed my cheek and kissed me on the forehead.

Martha was the only person I have in my life, I'd only known her as a family from the time I started understanding. She'd raised me as if I am her own daughter and never in once she'd made me feel that I was an orphan, I didn't even know who my parents were. The word family for me means Martha.

"Come inside, it must've been a tiring experience in that boat. You need rest," I pulled her with me and made her sit on the bed, she only let out a small chuckle at my action.

"Check I've got the colors you needed from the fair, See if everything is there," She handed me the bag, and smiling I took a look at the glass bottles full of the liquids.

"This is perfect," I exclaimed and put the back to the side before I turned to face her, "Now tell me how your week went?"

"As always, it went fine," She began her eyes shined in detectable happiness as she uttered the next words, "I have good news," She grabbed my hand in her excitedly.

"What?" My curiosity peeked through.

"You know working in the castle brings a lot of facilities along with it, don't you?"

"Yeah, but why are you asking me that?" I questioned, confused.

"Because I've arranged a Job for you in the Castle!" She chirmed.

My eyes went wide in and my brows rose in surprise, the news itself left me both shocked and on the top, "Wait? Really?" I stood up.

Only a selected amount of humans were allowed to work in a castle, whilst others enlisted themselves for monthly blood collections that were for the vampires. Each worker got to stay in the castle since they have specific requirements all day long and sometimes even at night when there were specific festivals.

It was nearly impossible to find a place there since there were always eligible people wanting the opportunity.

"Yes!" Her tone held the same excitement as mines.