ch3. 'you're incredible too'

"We wanna underscore again, that we're coming to Chicago peacefully - but whether we're given permits or not, we're coming"

"That was good" said Nance, as Tom came away from the platform.

"Yeah" said Tom, "Thanks"

"Dellinger's giving a statement to the press" said Fae, "But it's some time in the evening so we can catch is after today's classes"

"I have a journalism and a history lecture" groaned Nancy, "My hand is going to fucking fall off"

"Well we'll suffer in journalism together" said Tom, grabbing her hand. 

Fae raised her eyebrows at the pair, "Well why you guys learn how to give information to the public, I get to learn about rivers"

"It's your fault for wanting to minor in Geography" said Rennie, teasing her.

"Don't be mean" said Fae, ruffling the shorter boys hair playfully.

Rennie and Fae started a conversation, it must have been about some inside joke as Nancy couldn't understand why it was so funny.

"They're so in love it's nauseating" said Tom sarcastically.

"You know, Tom, do you eat salt in the morning, is that's why you're so moody all the time?" asked Nancy sarcastically.

"No, I just - 'm a serious person" said Tom, his ears going red.

"Don't I know it" said Nancy, and she could tell that as soon as she said it that it hurt him. Something that she never wanted to do, "Tom, It was joke - you're... you're incredible"

"Incredible?" said Tom, a hint of laughter in his voice, "Is that a compliment that I hear?"

"Don't let it get to your head, but no one but you could have done this" said Nancy.

"Do what Nance?"

"This - Chicago, the SDS" said Nancy, "Only you could do it"

"I need you, you helped loads, did as much as me - probably more" said Tom.

"Of course I did" she said, shoving his shoulder playfully.

"You're incredible too" he said, his ears going redder.

"We're mot going to storm the convention with tanks or mace, but we are going to storm the hearts and souls of the American people" said Dave on the telly.

"He has a way with words" said Rennie.

"He does" agreed Rob, another member of the SDS.

"What a protest, Dave Dellinger and Bobby Seale" said Fae, "A fucking 'conscientious objector' and a Black Panther"

"A lot of people are conscientious objectors" said Tom.

"Not during World War Two, they aren't" scoffed Fae, "Vietnam is a war that doesn't need to be fought - shouldn't be fought. But World War Two, a fight against a fascist, racist regime - that needed to be fought"

"I like him" said Nancy, "He organised hundreds of protests, loads haven't worked - hell most haven't worked. But he keeps on doing it - I think that's admirable"

"It's admirable alright" laughed Fae, "How anyone could have that much patience is beyond me"

"Patience is one of the many things that is beyond you" said Tom sarcastically.

"Shut up" said Fae, to which Rennie and Nancy rolled their eyes - was another argument really going to break out between the pair.

"Well I've got to revise the shit that we did today" said Tom, "I didn't get that last bit he went through" 

"Same" groaned Nancy, "It was pretty confusing, but I'm going to sleep - I barely got three hours last night."

"Good night " everyone chorused.

"Good night Nance" said Tom, he cheeks flushing when Nancy gave him a kiss on the cheek as she started leaving the room.

And it was fair to say that Tom couldn't concentrate for the rest of the night.