ch2. 'law and order'

FIVE MONTHS AFTER THE CONVENTION

"You've arrived at a moment in history" said the secretary.

"Pardon?" said Richard Shultz.

"They're changing the picture" and both Shultz and Foran turned to face the wall.

"Tom" said Atkins

"Howard" said Foran, shaking his hand.

"Is everything alright?" Atkins asked.

"Sure" said Foran.

"Richard Shultz" said Atkins, offering Shultz his hand

"Sir"

"Howard Atkins, Special Advisor to the Attorney General, anyone tell you what this is about"

"No sir, only just to meet Mr Foran at O'Hare this morning, and that we would be flying to Washington to meet Mr Mitchell" explained Shultz.

Atkins nodded, before turning to the secretary, "They're finally changing that goddamn  picture" before turning back to Shultz and Foran, "Come on in"

And as soon as they entered the Attorney General said, "As a matter of curtesy and tradition, when we elect a new president the outpouring cabinet member resign to spare the president the unpleasantness of firing them. Richard, do you know when the president received Ramsey Clarks formal letter of resignation?"

"No sir" said Shultz.

"About and hour before my confirmation, that was to embarrass me. Well I think it was more embarrassing for Ramsey Clark" said the Attorney General, "I'm John Mitchell"

"I'm Thomas Foran Mr Attorney General, and this is Richard Shultz" Foran introduced the pair.

"Richard, Chicago was more fucked up than any ten things I've seen before in my life"

"Sir?"

"The convention, the riots" expanded Atkins.

"Yes sir" said Shultz, nodding.

"Sit" said Mitchell, and Foran and Shultz made they're way to sit down, "Johnnie Walker okay with everybody?"

"Yes, thank you" said Foran.

"Richard?"

"Nothing for me, thank you" 

"We don't know how Humphrey's people could have been that stupid" said Mitchell, putting his hands on the desk, "To allow their guys to be nominated under armed guard"

"Sir?"

"Son, are you nervous?"

"No sir"

"Why the fuck not?" and Shultz looked nervous, which caused Mitchell to break out laughing, "I'm kidding, don't believe everything you've heard about me. Ramsey Clark gave me the finger on the way out the door, I'm asking you whether you think Chicago was the reason Humphrey lost the election"